Diving Coiba aboard the Yemaya

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sten Johansson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
As a collector of seas, I am always excited to visit a new area. I look forward to that first glimpse of a rock jutting out of the water, a piece of sandy beach in the middle of nowhere, or a vague shadow of something moving in the depths of the sea.

I have been to some of the dive sites in Coiba as part of our Malpelo and Cocos trips aboard the Yemaya, but this is my first time to do a full week and an entire trip in this Marine Park. Compared to our other dive guide, Erik Nielsen, I’m a newbie to the area. So instead of doing a normal trip report, I would like to write about my overall impression of Coiba.

Coiba is huge!!! About 25 nautical miles long and 5 nautical miles wide, this island used to be a former high-security prison that was closed down and became a national park.

Surrounded by jungle, mangroves, rivers, and creeks, it is said that Coiba is the biggest uninhabited tropical island in the world. It has the largest population of the scarlet Macaw in the whole Latin America. It is also inhabited by saltwater crocodiles and probably by a small population of alligators in the freshwater rivers, though the latter has not been proven. There is a small ranger station on the northwest point of the island, where we pass by to pay a very small park fee for each guest onboard. Six rangers stay there.

The old prison serves as a small navy base these days, or something like that. It is also where the airstrip is located.

During our week here we did a circumnavigation around Coiba to be able to see the different faces of the island, above and below the surface.

You can read the full report here: Coiba Trip Report: June 5, 2012 - Sten Johansson

Sten Johansson

Hello, we are looking at doing a trip late March next year on the Yemaya to Coiba. Great reports about Coiba and about the boat operation itself but I have concerns about the diving. Even though we are all advanced divers and have been to Galapagos and Socorro, not sure I want to spend a week diving in freezing water with very high current. I have read everything I could and it appears that on many trips, every single dive has a lot of current. And on a few reports that I read, the water temperature at depth was in the 60's! And the viz was minimal as well. I get cold easily so it doesn't sound great. I am interested in any input you might have... thanks in advance!​

Back
Top Bottom