Diving Cuba - Trinidad & Cayo Santa Maria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

badejo65

Reaction score
Hi, anyone has an opinion about diving in Cuba

Trinidad del Mar - Ancon Peninsula

and

Cayo Santa Maria

I´ll be there in early april and hope to do some diving.

Any input will be welcome

Thanks.

B.

Cuba diving is great, prices fair, dive sites the most undesturbed in the Caribean Islands. (see my other posts) it is very safe, bring small toys and baseballs for the kids. I went to Maria La Grorda but I am sure Trinidad is nice too. If your an American I would be careful what you say on the internet.

Hi,
thanks for the advice, i am not american, so , no worries.

Thank you
B.

Hi
I did a shore dive on the Ancon peninsula and enjoyed it. To quote someone else not worth a journey in itself, but if you are in the area well worth doing. I dived Los Jardinnes de la Reina off a liveaboard operation and loved it and was not intending to dive else where in Cuba so left my gear in Havana. But my land lady knew a bloke who had worked in the industry and he supplied gear and transport and took me out for a shore dive ($US25) on the peninsula. Lovely warm water, about a 50m snorkel and then drpped onto sand with little mounts of reef and then another 50m and a reef drop off to about 35m. We chugged through a couple of swim thrus and saw nice coral, I don't remember heaps of fish but it was a pleasant 40 minutes (the air fill on the supplied tank was a bit short!).

I really enjoyed Trinidad, good food, lovely town and good music and do try to get up into the hills for a walk.

Alison

AI have dived with the operation at the Hotel Ancon & the dives were similar to the prvious poster. The operator was OK too.

Hi
I realize this is an old thread, but I thought I would give an update as I did not find any new information before my trip to Cuba. I just arrived home, (Feb. 5th to 13th, 2011,) from a vacation at Hotel Ancon, Trinidad, Cuba. The dive shop is located at Hotel Ancon, they go out twice a day. The cost is $35 CUC's, ( CUC's are about the same as Can or US dollars, it was expensive by Cuban standards) per dive. The diving is pretty good, grottos, tunnels, etc. Crabs lobster, lionfish, no big animals, the area is "fished out". Vis was 75' or so. The boat was fine, the guides spoke passable English. The rental equipment was a hodge podge, if I were to go back I would bring my own gear, especially a computer! Morning dive was 75', afternoon dive was 95', I had to trust the guide and my fellow divers to avoid the bends! (way beyond my comfort level!) The tanks were short, squat and heavy, 3000PSI, I don't know the CF capacity but they lasted a long time. One day my gear was PSI and ft, the next BAR and m. Again, I would recommend bringing your own gear. The clientele on the boat was mixed, Canadian, German, Czech, Spanish etc. Everyone used English as the "go between" language. I didn't encounter any Americans on the dive boat or at the hotel. All in all a good experience. Bring your own gear, at least a reg and computer. I took pictures and will post them if requested.

Hey,
I am headed to Cuba, and would love to see some of your pictures. Was their an in water guide on your dives? My divebuddy isn't going on the trip with me, and as a relatively new diver I'm a little nervous to dive without him!

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom