diving during a cruise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been given a cruise for Christmas the last 5 years, if I am given another one this year I will not even bother taking my gear. You get to port too late and leave too early to get to do any good diving. It is nice to have your room follow you from port to port and we have a balcony to dry our gear ( take your hangers with you ) but honestly Princess cruises are depressing to me. I have never seen so many scooters, wheelchairs, walkers, canes and obese people limping around. The elevators open and they don't know if they are coming, going, up, down or what. If you get near a pool you will want to poke your eyes out, the best time is when the seas are rough and they stay in their room. The food is ok at first then it all starts to taste the same, bland, then it is pizza and burgers. Other than that it is better than being at work, but I would not spend my money on a cruise if I wanted to dive.

I have been given a cruise for Christmas the last 5 years, if I am given another one this year I will not even bother taking my gear. You get to port too late and leave too early to get to do any good diving. It is nice to have your room follow you from port to port and we have a balcony to dry our gear ( take your hangers with you ) but honestly Princess cruises are depressing to me. I have never seen so many scooters, wheelchairs, walkers, canes and obese people limping around. The elevators open and they don't know if they are coming, going, up, down or what. If you get near a pool you will want to poke your eyes out, the best time is when the seas are rough and they stay in their room. The food is ok at first then it all starts to taste the same, bland, then it is pizza and burgers. Other than that it is better than being at work, but I would not spend my money on a cruise if I wanted to dive.

Cruises are not for everyone; but they are a good choice for divers who travel with non-divers. A large percentage of clientele on longer cruises (which tend to have the best ports in which to dive) are as you described. That's why we go as a group and make our own fun. Honestly, the older folks are not an issue for us as we do our own thing on the ship. What's more important to us is having the ability to go to quality ports, which a cruise can do. Another plus is allowing the non-divers with us to get together while we are off diving.

Most in my group would not consider themselves "cruisers"; nearly all still plan land based dive trips and go liveaboards. But when a compromise is necessary - meaning planning a trip where a non-diving spouse or kids can have just as much fun as you can diving, a dive cruise, in my opinion is the best way to make everyone happy. Princess does a great job accommodating my groups, but it's not the cruise line or ship that determines where we go - it's the ports of call. Princess just so happens to usully have the best itineraries best suited for diving. That said, my favorite ships are Celebrity's Solstice class.

My group and I are planning to head to Thailand in 2013 - we're going on a liveaboard charter this time; but finding one that will be comfortable and accommodating to our non-divers is proving to be a challenge, but it's not impossible.

Good luck!

Hi gbray,

You may wish to begin by reading this orientation to cruise ship diving. It's an edited piece from my "Dive Workshop" column in "Rodales' Scuba Diving:"

"An Orientation to Cruise Ship Diving

Cruise ships are seen by many divers as despoilers of the both the environment and culture at their ports of call. The situation in Cozumel in particular is regularly lamented on several scuba bulletin boards. Nevertheless, cruising is among the fastest growing segments of the travel industry, and bigger and fancier ships are regularly launched, and new piers constructed.

These floating megaresorts generally offer scuba diving as one of many activities, but rarely is it a focal point. Cruise ships do afford some advantages, however, such as allowing: (1) groups with nondiving members to vacation together;
(2) the diver to screen a number of locations cost-effectively and with relative ease; (3) divers who are not into a trip of hard core diving to get an N2 fix; & (4) a convenient venue for a resort course or OW certification--anything beyond this will be conduced by the shore ops.

If you decide to cruise and dive, you can: (1) go with a traditional ship and let them make the arrangements; (2) do the same but arrange for your own diving; or, (3) select a ship specifically oriented toward diving. If diving with an op arranged by the ship, it may be selected based on its ability to adhere to the ship's schedule, the amount it kicks back, and other factors not related to getting the best diving. Definitely plan on it costing more if arranged by the ship. If good diving is a priority, you often will be best served by making your own arrangements prior to the cruise. This can require some effort due to the ship's need to keep a tight schedule. It may dock after most dive boats have gone out in the AM, and may depart before others return in the PM. In addition, cruise ship piers are often some distance from the areas where the best diving is located. Definitely make advanced booking if you decide to select your own op. BTW, get a balcony room if possible as it facilitates storing and drying wet gear.

Boats operated by the likes of the Windjammer and Law fleets cater to those wanting some serious diving, but also a relaxed atmosphere and other diversions. Larger, more generic cruise lines like Princess, Celebrity and Windstar are among your best choices in that class. On board dive centers have instructors, and offer at least a resort course, with other certs handled by the on shore op. They endeavor to get you to the better sites with the better shops at any particular port of call, although for very experienced divers they often are not the most advanced sites or personalized ops. Dive gear is typically available on board, and, if not, can be obtained from the local shop. Some ships include gear in the price of the dives, typically $85-$100 for a two tank trip, but some charge for rental. Best to check beforehand if looking to save a few bucks, but remember that schlepping your gear from room to shore op everyday, and storing/drying it your cabin, can be a hassle. Also, some ships have odd rules, such as wanting a logbook as well as c-card, or requiring a refresher a course if you haven't dived a while.

Bottom line is, cruise ships are not dedicated dive venues, and will not satisfy those who want nothing but dive, dive, dive or advanced diving. They do, however, provide an opportunity to get in a few dives and several locations while enjoying the other amenities of this type of vacation."

Regards,

DocVikingo

We learned another small bit of advice by default- never skip diving at a port because you plan to dive at the next instead. We did not dive in Belize, but planned to dive in Cancun the next day. When we lugged our gear down to the proper level and were all ready to get off the ship, we found out that the ship would NOT be stopping in Cancun that day, due to huge waves and high winds. (No cruise ship piers there, you must tender in to shore.) Lesson learned: never pass up a chance to go diving. duh.

We learned another small bit of advice by default- never skip diving at a port because you plan to dive at the next instead. We did not dive in Belize, but planned to dive in Cancun the next day. When we lugged our gear down to the proper level and were all ready to get off the ship, we found out that the ship would NOT be stopping in Cancun that day, due to huge waves and high winds. (No cruise ship piers there, you must tender in to shore.) Lesson learned: never pass up a chance to go diving. duh.

We miss a port on about 20% of our cruises (1 in 5 voyages) - most of the time, it's not weather related, but a health related emergency. Last January though, it was due to high winds that we missed out on St. Kitts. For that reason, we book all our dive charters in each port through the same company, so that in the event we have a port cancellation or more often than not, a change in the itinerary, we have the option of diving in the substituted port of call - something our dive coordinator helps with (access to the internet on the ship helps).

Diving on a cruise does take some planning, unless you book all your dives through the cruise line, which for more experienced divers, is not recommended. Our biggest issue used to be the deposit to hold the space - and risk losing it if the ship did not make it into port. But we were able to solve that problem by involving a third party (at a cost).

Diving while on a cruise does not take the place of actually visiting a dive destination for a week or more; but it is a good way to sample many different dive destinations. For some who travel with non-divers, a cruise is a good choice.

Our biggest issue used to be the deposit to hold the space - and risk losing it if the ship did not make it into port. But we were able to solve that problem by involving a third party (at a cost). .

Sounds very interesting can you enlighten us more on this issue?

If you dive from a cruise ship and book your dive seperate from the ship and have a problem and don't get back on time, sorry charlie the ship sails with out you. I did Bonaire off a cruise ship and it was ok and I can say I dove there but its not satisfying for me. I did Cozamel and same thing generic drift dive and back to the ship. I like to carry a knife when diving and it creates a stir getting back on the ship. Then when they take your knife and mark your ship card an alarm goes off every time you get off at a port. We did get our knifes for each dive and upon return to port but I found it to be a hassel. If you want good diving go to a resort or book seperate from the ship and hope you get back on time.

Sounds very interesting can you enlighten us more on this issue?

The company I use guarantees we get back to the ship on time. I don't now the rules about including their name in this post, but you can visit our group blog and obtain info about the dive group and get the company we use at our diveboat manifest (see the tabs) to book our group's dive charter. Then you can contact them on your own.

If you dive from a cruise ship and book your dive seperate from the ship and have a problem and don't get back on time, sorry charlie the ship sails with out you. I did Bonaire off a cruise ship and it was ok and I can say I dove there but its not satisfying for me. I did Cozamel and same thing generic drift dive and back to the ship. I like to carry a knife when diving and it creates a stir getting back on the ship. Then when they take your knife and mark your ship card an alarm goes off every time you get off at a port. We did get our knifes for each dive and upon return to port but I found it to be a hassel. If you want good diving go to a resort or book seperate from the ship and hope you get back on time.

I dived off of a cruise ship for nearly 2 years as a crew member. I never once missed the ship (and I would have been in a
hell of a lot trouble if I had). I rarely ever booked through the cruise line, and booked on my own. The outside ops are aware of when ships arrive and when they leave. And are very mindful of that. I never once came close to missing the ship, or being late for crew back on board, which is generally 15-30 minutes earlier than the guest back on board time. I even had time for a lunch and a couple of beers most of the time.
The cruise lines warn people of the dangers of booking outside tours because they want to make money.

So, if you dive during a cruise, book on your own if you don't want the cattle boat experience. If you don't mind cattle boats, or feel better booking through the cruise line, than do so. But, you will get much better dives booking with an outside op.

DH and I are enthusiastic divers, as in we spend 1-3 weeks diving in Bonaire every year and also head to the Cayman Islands and Cozumel if we get a chance. That said, there are significant advantages to taking a cruise/dive vacation. We've been several times.

If you shop carefully, a cruise can be less expensive than air + hotel.
You can dive in several different countries in one week.
No-fly time is usually not an issue.
Less enthusiastic divers and non-divers in your party have plenty to do.

My suggestions:

Take a Western Caribbean cruise. Belize, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Roatan are all great dive destinations. Or pick a cruise that stops in Bonaire and Dominica.

Avoid the cruise ship dive excursions (except in Belize) where you'd be diving from a cattle boat with newbies and the dangerously out-of-practice. Ask on scubaboard for reliable dive ops in your ports of call and make arrangements ahead of time.

Take along your gear if you can pack it. Book a balcony cabin. After your dive, rinse your gear in the showers by the ship's pool and when it stops dripping, hang it over the chairs on your balcony to finish drying.

Have a great time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom