Diving during last nights earthquake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LioKai

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
So, last night I'm a few miles offshore for the blackwater dive and we had an earthquake with a magnitude of 1.9. According the USGS website the quake was centered about 1 mile to the south of my dive. We were out beyond the 1000 fathom line (6000 feet deep to the bottom) and drifting south off Kailua town when it hit. The deep rumble was LOUD!! It vibrated the water and my body. The down lines for the teathers that I use have 4 pound weights at the end, and I watched as they jurked and vibrated for about 8-10 seconds. At the end of the dive I asked Capt. Eddie if he could hear or feel anything and he said yes, that he could both hear and feel the quake. The sound and feel was like a big thunder clap that rocks the house for 8 - 10 seconds.

Matthew

wow....cool, I guess.

We missed all the drama. I called the kids and told them to stay out of the tunnels.

Your version reminds me of Michener's description of the geological events that gave birth to the chain of islands in his first chapter of Hawaii.

Too bad you did not have the cam on....I wonder if anyone did?

Wonder what the whales said about it. The yearly song they do might get a new stanza.

Great, but what did you see last night?... I have my lighting all thought out for the next blackwater dive, it's gonna be so cool!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom