Diving Experience in Mozambique (Review).

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swiss_diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dear fellow divers

My wife and me just returned from two weeks of diving from Mozambique, Africa. We did Zavora and Tofa and fell in love with the place – both underwater and on land. In case you plan to dive there too one day, I’ve compiled a personal review that might help you out on a few things.

SPECS
Time: Nov 3rd – Nov 17th 2012
Travel: By plane to Maputo and then 4WD to Zavora/Tofo
There also a direct flight to Inhambane operated by LAM, leaving Johannesburg.
Experience: AOWD/Rescue, 140 dives each
Highlights: Giant Mantas (up to 7m!), Humpback Whale, Hammerhead Shark, Huge Potato Groupers, Guitar Shark, Loggerhead Turtles, Frogfish, Mothfish and huge schools of fish. Sadly no whale shark sightings, although it’s still one of the world’s hot spots.

DIVING VIDEO
Finally managed to finish my diving movie. Hope you enjoy the marine life!
At the end of the movie I included my favourite shots of Giant and Reef Mantas.

Film on YouTube (HD):
Diving in Mozambique, Zavora/Tofo 2012. - YouTube

ZAVORA
First off: It’s been great. Although the first two days have been pretty bad visibilty, it cleared up. Most dives are deep dives at about 34-28metres. Besides really big and nice schools of fish we were lucky to see huge schools of devil rays, reef and giant mantas, big patato groupers, turtles and various small critters. Another highlight has been the humpback whale and single hammer head shark sightings during surface intervall.

We dove with Moz Divers (MozDivers - best diving in Mozambique! Recreational and technical diving in subtropical waters.) where Jon is operating these nice dive sites. He and his staff (especially Juan) have been very helpful and skilled. The equipment was good, the dive knowledge vast and the deco beers at the bar fun. Can really recommend Mozdivers at Zavora Lodge. Nitrox is chraged extra, but for a reasonable price. Diving is done by zodiac in the launch area, which can be a bit rough. Water temperature was around 21/22 degrees, so you might want to bring at least a 5mm.

We stayed at the Zavora Lodge (Zavora Mozambique - More than a holiday), which has been good. The apartment rooms are lovely and the view spectacular. Also, it’s comfortable to just walk down into the dive shop and start diving. Only downside has been the food – which took 30-40 min to be prepared and was nothing spectacular. It’s very quiet there and that was fine fort he

We’ve had to pleasure to meet some local ex pats who live there so I can make two recommendations from personal experience:

Thomas and Alex (French couple) who run this luxury ECO lodge is a must-see. We had a lovely dinner there and felt very welcome. They have luxury tents and bungalows, which looked awesome. Although a bit pricier than Zavora Lodge and only accessable by 4WD this gem is worth going to. It’s name is Dunes de Dovela (Accueil) which is about a 20min drive on sand road from Zavora Lodge.

We’ve also had the pleasure to meet Dyon and Sabrina. They’re building a lodge on the dunes on Zavora, which will be open by April 2013. It looked fantastic already in November when we were there. They don’t have a name yet, so stay tuned!

TOFO
After having dived Zavora we were all curious about Tofo. It isn’t all that big, but has a few bars and a local market where you can buy fresh fish (tuna rocked!). We’ve settled for a private house called Burgh House (recommendable, 100$ pP offseason) that has a spacious living room, a grill and 4 separate bedrooms. Its located at Tofinho, a 10 min walk into the town centre.

After checking a few dive Ops (4 in total) we’ve felt most comfortable with Diversity (Diversity Scuba, the best diving in Mozambique | Diversity Scuba) which have 3 boats, good rental gear and lovely staff. We dove with James and Rodriguez, both amazing diveguides.

The launching is done as well with a zodiac. Visibility was quite good (occasionally bad again due to the spontaneous thermo clines). We’ve had the luck to have Reef and Giant Manta (one we saw was over 6 metres!!) sightings on almost every dive. As it was mating season, they were happily buzzing around, chasing each other. We also saw a guitar shark, some frogfish, huge and friendly potato groupers, various stingrays, turtles and and and...

The weather temperature was 1-2 degrees hotter than Zavora, which made quite a difference. Unfortunately, we weren’t blessed with a whale shark sighting. They have seen two while we dove Tofo for a week. A good reason to come back J

If you don’t like self-catering stays, we can really recommend Casa do Mar (Casa Do Mar | Mozambique accommodation with the best accommodation rates.).

Also every monday/wed/fri there are marine biology lessons at the research centre, which are VERY interesting. They do a lot to understand the megafauna and protect it. Their research shows an 87% decline in the Manta population, which is very concerning. Check this Website for more information: Foundation for the Protection of Marine Megafauna

Andrea and her staff do a wonderful job. I hope they can preserve the underwater world before the Chinese (sadly) fish it all empty. Although they have built solid roads and good hospitals, there fishing rights were given short-sightedly. At the moment, manta fishing is still allowed which is very sad.

RECCOMENDATION
Travelling to the north of Mozambique isn’t that easy, but worth every extra mile. The diving is spectacular and the people (both local and ex pats) adorable. If you want to see Giant Mantas, Zavora/Tofo ist he place to go. And whalesharks, everybody assures us :crafty:

If you want to know more, please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,
Cyrill.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Cyrill for the detailed review. We did the same trip and used the same dive ops and accomodations in Tofo and Zavora. Actually, I believe we overlapped for a day in Zavora lodge.
Definitely agree with your opinion on Diversity with James and Rodriguez as well as Juan at Moz Divers. Also highly recommendable are the marine bio lessons.

Just an added recommendation for future visitors: Be Nitrox certified before you go or get certified there. Almost all divesites are between 28 and 36 meters deep and nothing else but blue in between. Some divers were on air and had to end the dive after 20 minutes. A shame when you took a long (sometimes a bit challenging) boat ride and only dive for 20 min.

I did three weeks at Tofo/Zavora/Barra earlier this year, and was some of the best diving I've done outside SE Asia/Australia.

Very interesting post!

I spent two weeks in Tofo a year or so ago - also diving with Diversity and thoroughly enjoyed it. Quite different from all the diving I have done in the Indo-Pacific, but a really great experience.

I documented all my experience on my site starting here with an overview of the mega-fauna in the Tofo area:

Diving Mozambique: Tofo Mega Fauna - follow the links to all the manta and whale shark stuff, plus the other dive sites.

Very high on my personal "bucket list" is a return trip to Zavora so it was really great to get this first-hand experience!

Thanks, Don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom