Diving for Big and Tall Guys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boomer68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I took a pool demonstration down in Mexico and loved it and am considering trying to get my open water certification. I am a well built bigger guy 6'1'' and 325. (chest 60 and waist 46) I am in good health other than the weight issue. And yes I know I need to lose some. Other than that, is diving safe for me and do they make equipment ie wetsuits, bcds, and etc. for the big and tall. Thanks.

Yes you can be equipped to dive. In all likellihood you are looking at a custom wetsuit and that is only a small premium above a good of the rack outfit. Search the exposure protection forum for custom wetsuits to read more.

The BCS have a broad range of sizes, there are also modular systems and extenders. You will also learn here about backplates and wings with simple webbing harnesses that will adjust to fit anyone and adjust down as you do.

Most of the other gear is much less build sensitive and should pose no problems.

The risks and challenges you should read up on are DCS (de compression siclkness) which is essentilally the bends to varying extents. Fat retains more nitrogen and you will want to dive more conservative profiles to control that risk. You will want to be in pretty good condition carsio vascular wise. There are varying amounts of finning involved and getting in and out of the water either on shore or boat dives can be the most trenuous part of the activity. You also need to be prepared for the time when things may go wrong and you need to hustle.

I would consult your physician and preferably find one that is dive savy. If need be DAN (divers alert network) can assist.

Pete

Absolutely go with a custom suit. I use one custom made from aquaflite.com and it is better than anything you can get off the rack, and it costs less than most off the rack suits. A good fitting warm suit would go a long way to keep begginers in the sport. Sit down and have a frank discussion with an instructor about your limitations and keep researching equipment choices-just because your LDS sells a certain brand doesn't mean its the only thing out there that'll work. The beach dives are usually the most difficult, due to entering/exiting the surf(s-cal). Once your certified just stick with boat diving.
Good luck.

I have very similar dimensions to you, in fact, the only difference is weight. I am below 300 right now. When I started I was over. You'd be surprised what's out there to fit you. In fact, a 3X 3MM suit, even though it says it won't fit you, probably will. The dive shop I go to has a big BC for rent, and I think I might be the only one using it :D Not too many of us big guys in this hobby. You do have to keep your cardio up though. Nothing worse than a fat guy sucking wind on deck after a hard exit from rough water :wink:

You will find varying degrees of understanding from your LDS though. Weight for instance. They will tell you that you are using way too much lead to get down, but as big guys, we are alot more bouyant than the people they are used to working with.

I'm looking into a back plate and wing just as Spectrum suggested. No worry about fit and the harness will adjust as I do. Plus, because we are so much more bouyant, we need much less compensation. The BP/wing gets more of the extra weight needed to get you down onto your back instead of around your waist.

So, as long as you can swim 200yds (a requirement for PADI), you'll pass the class. You can definitely do the 10 minute tread water, since I'm relatively sure that you float as I do. Those are the two physical requirements for PADI cert. Just keep your dive profile within the limits and always make gradual ascents and you should be good, if your doc says so.
Jason

Pyrofish:
Plus, because we are so much more bouyant, we need much less compensation.

Whoah... That Buoyancy that is part of your body is a constant, just like everyone elses and has nothing directly to do with your BC . However you will have more square inches of neoprene which looses buoyancy upon descent and it is that loss that the BC compensates for. A plus sized diver therefore requres a little more BC lift capacity. Once back on the surface the neoprene is one again fully buoyant and if correctly weighted the plus sized diver's lift needs are not significantly different. Remember that a BC by name Compensates for changes in Buoyancy. If it can't change then it won't matter.

Pete

I know what you're saying Pete, my post was poorly worded. A BC with all of the pockets and padding only adds that much more bouyancy, which I really don't need. The less material I can wear, the less weight I need to get neutral. I'm hoping that the wing, w/ a nice SS back plate might do that for me. Going back and rereading what I wrote, I'm not sure what I meant :D

With a 3MM suit on, I need almost 30lbs to get me down. Kind of dangerous to wear all of it on my belt when you think about it. If I did have to ditch, I'd probably come shooting out the water like a trident missile :wink:

Pyrofish:
I know what you're saying Pete, my post was poorly worded. A BC with all of the pockets and padding only adds that much more bouyancy, which I really don't need. The less material I can wear, the less weight I need to get neutral. I'm hoping that the wing, w/ a nice SS back plate might do that for me. Going back and rereading what I wrote, I'm not sure what I meant :D

With a 3MM suit on, I need almost 30lbs to get me down. Kind of dangerous to wear all of it on my belt when you think about it. If I did have to ditch, I'd probably come shooting out the water like a trident missile :wink:

Some of that BC buoyancy is constant and is accounted for in your weight setting. Only the stuff with varriable displacement like closed cell foams will require compensation. Less byoyant stuff regardless of varriability will mean less weight.

Regarding the weight consider something besides a conventional belt. I got a DUI weight and trim for use with my drysuit and it carries the weight very comfortably. Since it has a shoulder harness there's no way it's falling off my hips and that lets me let it ride low to set my trim. They are also popular with wetsuit divers at each end of the girth range. The weight carriers are ditchabel and each carry up to 20 pounds for a total of 40. Consider spreading some weight to different locations such as integeated ditchable pockets and trim weight pockets. Where you go with the weights really depends on how your trim is now. Remember that tank position means a lot.

You want every advantage you can get. If you are diving AL-80s consider this post:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1191538&postcount=16
Remember that this is an adaptation and you need your own personal solution.

I know what you mean about getting lost in a post. For every 4 I post I bet I blow one away before I ever submit.

Pete

I had a run-away because of an aluminum tank once. It was a 90CF and it was on my last dive of my OW class. I was still drinking air, so I had 100PSI left. I hit my safety stop and kept right on going, being drug up backwards like I had a balloon on my back. So, when I bought my tanks, I bought negative Al80's. They were only a little more, like $20 more. I also got weights that sit in the tank boot, but I haven't installed them yet.

When I get all of my new equipment, I plan on going out and adjusting my weight placement. I don't have my own wetsuit or BC, so it didn't seem worth it try out everything on constantly changing equipment. By the end of the month I hope to have my equipment, my trim dialed in, and most of the weight off of my belt.

Well befor you go custom on the wetsuit, check out Akona, They have a 5XL that's pretty nice, and should fit you.

I'm 6' 290 with a 46" waist.

Leisure Pro has them fairly cheap (3mm & 7mm) I ordered a 4x and a 5x and felt better in the 5 (felt like the stay puft marshmallow man in the 4) so I just returned the 4, no questions asked!

I use an Aeris Atmos XT BC and it's more than adequate!

GO check stock stuff out before you go with custom!!!

As a big guy (6'4", currently 330, used to be more), I'd like to chime in. First, get a custom suit. It's worth the extra money. I dive cold water, so I got a custom Harvey's dri-flex suit. It's been great. I haven't been cold once. Today, the water temp went as low as 47, and my buddy in a dry suit was cold, not me.

Second, as for BCs, I went through my LDS to find a BC that would work. Three of the BCs that come in XXL were the ScubaPro KnightHawk, Zeagle Ranger (I think it was a ranger?) and one from Oceanic. I went with the KnightHawk, and like it, other than not having much in the way of pockets. It's been a good BC, though. It's not a jacket-style, it's a "back inflate" so I don't feel squeeze when I inflate. In terms of weight, with a farmer john 7mm suit, I end up having to carry lots of weight...67 pounds. I'm getting to the point where I can probably drop a few pounds and still be OK, but early on, I had trouble getting down without that much.

One drawback to being the largest diver of the group is I'm the one that runs out of air first. Being in better shape has helped, along with getting a dive computer. I monitor my air consumption better, and it beeps at me when my workload is too high. So I'm using less air now than I was early on. I've got steel 120s on order...that'll change my weight and bottom time.

Have fun. Be safe. Happy Diving.

Lowell

Back
Top Bottom