Diving for Science Classes At Aquarena Center, Spring Lake San Marcos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

driftwood

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I dropped an email to Ron Coley, director of Aquarena Center, about an estimate on restarting the DFS classes. Bottom line is that he doesn't know. First we have to "reclaim" the Training Area. Given the current flow in Spring Lake and the limited number of divers per week, that isn't going to happen anytime soon. We need either a lot more divers per week or a major flood.

I was wondering about all the hype concerning aquarena: you pay them a bunch of cash for them to train you to work their pool, and then you're allowed in under the condition that you'll be working the whole time? Doesn't exactly sound like fun to me, especially the pay-to-work part. If it were free, but they asked you to do a few things as part of your dive in exchange for admission, it seems they wouldn't have any problem getting divers, given the excellent conditions of their pool.

I was wondering about all the hype concerning aquarena: you pay them a bunch of cash for them to train you to work their pool, and then you're allowed in under the condition that you'll be working the whole time? Doesn't exactly sound like fun to me, especially the pay-to-work part. If it were free, but they asked you to do a few things as part of your dive in exchange for admission, it seems they wouldn't have any problem getting divers, given the excellent conditions of their pool.

The "work" they have you do is very light and there is plenty of time for a fun dive. You aren't "working the whole time". And you get to dive in the clearest water in Texas.

On tomorrows dive, I get to try to navigate between ten dive sites close to an 1/8 of a mile apart while most of the time I can only see 10'-20' in front of me. Some of the spots I have to hit are the size of a coffin. For me that's a challenge. Back in April, I hit 70% spot on. That was a good dive. Tough to find a mono filament line underwater.

Its a minor miracle that they allow divers at in the lake. Critical habitat for six or seven endangered species and a host of regulations that go along with it. Most of the "training" consists of making divers aware of the "sensitive" nature of the site. The "real" training comes when you dive with experienced divers who show you little things like how to navigate the lake, where to look for critters and how to clean areas without screwing them up.

Here's the way I look at it. The course runs around $225 and certification is good for life. If I dive at Windy Point, Richard and company are going to hit me up for $15. I like to dive once a week, so based on a 50 dive year, I save $525 a year. BTW, I can drink the water coming out of Deep Hole. In addition, if I don't see a 5lb bass on a dive, it is a very bad day. The fish literally follow you like puppy dogs. On a very good day, you have a chance to see soft shell turtles, snapping turtles, and fresh water eels.

Before you start working, there aren't many Texas open water dive sites that have the clarity to practice great photography. I already mentioned how clean the water is coming out of Deep Hole. There is another benefit to this spring fed lake. The specific gravity and temperature of the water is an exact match for many of the great cenotes in Mexico. Not a bad place to practice before heading south. I have never heard of a dive request for the Training Area to practice skills being denied.

If you dive a lot, you save money. You get to see more fish on a single dive in Spring Lake than you will see in a years worth of diving someplace like Lake Travis. You can hone your photographic skills in water that is equivalent to most Caribbean destinations. Finally, you get to practice your buoyancy, trim and going slow in the exact conditions you will find in Mexican cenotes. In all of my dive condition reports, the temp is "same". I dive in 72 degree water 365 days a year.

On a final note, last July the annual population survey was conducted for the endangered species. It showed that the number surveyed were down by 50% from the previous year. The population might have found places to hide or the survey represents a true decline. All I know is that the change in attitude from the nondiving staff at AC is a complete 180. Right now, we are rock stars and they truly appreciated for our work.

That is what all the hype is about. Just my opinion and when I took the DFS class it was $75.

It's definitely my favorite local diving, and I don't mind doing the 'work' one bit. OTOH, I'm glad there are lots of people who disagree with that sentiment, otherwise it would be much tougher to get a spot for diving!

I suspect it will be quite a while before they get the science diving class up and running again. I'd be curious to know how the response has been for volunteer diving in the last month or so. I have not had a problem getting an opening, but there also have always been a few other divers around.

I agree that it's an ideal spot to prepare for the Mexican caves; I used to DM for the OW classes in doubles specifically for that reason.

I paid $225 for the cert, attended the class last year and did the orientation dive. We we were not allowed to do the second dive due to the number of divers in the class. We were told to come back next year (2013) after the restoration project was completed. I wonder if I'll have to start over from scratch?

It's definitely my favorite local diving, and I don't mind doing the 'work' one bit. OTOH, I'm glad there are lots of people who disagree with that sentiment, otherwise it would be much tougher to get a spot for diving!

I suspect it will be quite a while before they get the science diving class up and running again. I'd be curious to know how the response has been for volunteer diving in the last month or so. I have not had a problem getting an opening, but there also have always been a few other divers around.

I agree that it's an ideal spot to prepare for the Mexican caves; I used to DM for the OW classes in doubles specifically for that reason.

I was talking with Taylor, diving volunteer coordinator, this morning. They are hoping to get the Training Area up and running sometime in August.

Right now, they are averaging 15 dives per week. That leaves around 15 spots open.

BTW. they raised the DFS course fee from $75 to $125 in January 2006.

---------- Post added May 31st, 2013 at 12:50 AM ----------

I paid $225 for the cert, attended the class last year and did the orientation dive. We we were not allowed to do the second dive due to the number of divers in the class. We were told to come back next year (2013) after the restoration project was completed. I wonder if I'll have to start over from scratch?

I doubt it. I recall that once you have completed the course work, the checkout dive and the orientation dive, you are certified to dive in the lake. Drop Taylor a line to see if there is a problem. If there is a problem, then I am an A4(+) rated diver and should be able to finish any requirements for your certification.

I doubt it. I recall that once you have completed the course work, the checkout dive and the orientation dive, you are certified to dive in the lake. Drop Taylor a line to see if there is a problem. If there is a problem, then I am an A4(+) rated diver and should be able to finish any requirements for your certification.

I seem to recall back when Bridget was running it and then Eric, that they asked you to dive at least once every 12 months, if not they might ask you to monitor the class (no cost).

I seem to recall back when Bridget was running it and then Eric, that they asked you to dive at least once every 12 months, if not they might ask you to monitor the class (no cost).

Yes, that was the policy, but if they're going to enforce that now, everyone would have to get re-certified because the lake was closed for so long. I bet that if you were current before they closed, you'd be fine coming back now.

Reactions: Foo

Back
Top Bottom