Diving Friday Afternoon 1/2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wiggawam

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey, I know it is a bit late of notice but I got a late Christmas present in the form of my dive gear. I wanted to get in the water and work out all the bugs and being a newly minted OW diver I could use someone experienced to show me the ropes. Anyone in for an afternoon dive around LA?

The swell model on Friday is not favorable for either a newly minted OW diver or an evolution with a lot of new gear:

http://www.wetsand.com/swellwatch/swellwatch.asp?CatId=295

Some points:

Have you taken your gear into a pool and verified functionality, weighting, and leak checks? You will need to add about 5 lbs. to your total weighting in the ocean compared to the pool.

I assume your thermal is a 7 mm wetsuit, hood, and gloves. You can use your profile to list gear configurations. Read the dive reports and related threads in SoCal to get a feeling for what conditions have been like recently and what people are diving. Wrinkles events are excellent beach diving opportunities - one coming up at Lauguna.

Dive your gear the first time under very good conditions with a very experienced and attentive buddy. Avoid a long surface swim as that compounds problems like underweighting. Do some work and checks in the shallows (15-20 ft.) with minimal surf and swell.

Jim

LAJim:
The swell model on Friday is not favorable for either a newly minted OW diver or an evolution with a lot of new gear:

http://www.wetsand.com/swellwatch/swellwatch.asp?CatId=295

Some points:

Have you taken your gear into a pool and verified functionality, weighting, and leak checks? You will need to add about 5 lbs. to your total weighting in the ocean compared to the pool.

I assume your thermal is a 7 mm wetsuit, hood, and gloves. You can use your profile to list gear configurations. Read the dive reports and related threads in SoCal to get a feeling for what conditions have been like recently and what people are diving. Wrinkles events are excellent beach diving opportunities - one coming up at Lauguna.

Dive your gear the first time under very good conditions with a very experienced and attentive buddy. Avoid a long surface swim as that compounds problems like underweighting. Do some work and checks in the shallows (15-20 ft.) with minimal surf and swell.

Jim

I have done the pool check with all my gear and everything functioned perfectly. Also I have been an avid ocean swimmer and am comfortable in surf. I guess I am mainly just looking for an experienced dive buddy who is willing to go slow and just help me out. Thanks.

If your buddy is having to watch himself he can't watch you, and entries and exits in big surf can be show-stoppers.

Come to the February 10 Wrinkles dive in Laguna. You will meet plenty of divers who will be supportive.

Jim

LAJim:
If your buddy is having to watch himself he can't watch you, and entries and exits in big surf can be show-stoppers.

Come to the February 10 Wrinkles dive in Laguna. You will meet plenty of divers who will be supportive.

Jim

Thanks, I shall be there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom