diving from an inflatable boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove out of a 20 ft inflatable for years... love them.

We never had anyone to assist us.

Typical method was to hang attachment hooks off the boat for your gear.

Inflate the vest, remove and attach to the hook... make sure it is a very secure attachment.

Then, dip down, swim up (usually pulling on the lines on the top and flop onto the air chambers..turn sideways and you are on the boat.

Remove fins, pull gear into boat.

In several thousand dives, don't every remember anyone who could not do it once they got the timing.

That's the way I do it. Make sure you grip something on the pontoons. Otherwise, watch out for the highly amusing (for your buddies) face plant if your hands slip down the side of the pontoon as you try to "bounce" on board.

Going down from an inflatable boat can be done from your back, side or controlled.
Going up depends on the facilities of the dive boat.
Normally there should be an stair in the stern paralel to the outboard engine.
previous to go up, the diver should lay face up to the side of the boat, so as the assistant can remove the weight belt and BC+tank+reg. Once in the stern, you should remove your fins and climb the stair.
The boat should not have a rope running by the side to avoid being entangled.
The times I dove from a boat, it should be anchored to the bottom, to allow divers go down following the anchor line and to help keep deep when doing the safety stop.
Some diving places of interes have a buoy where the boat can be moored.

Attachments

• IMG_3669.jpg
    IMG_3669.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_3395.jpg
    IMG_3395.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 157
Fins are on, but it should work fine either way.

The second lesson is, IMHO, wrong ... the lesson should be not to dive over-weighted.

the end of that second one says "and don't dive over weighted" :wink:

However, I take issue with the first. Your boat sprung a leak, lesson: leave someone on the boat. Why? So they can tell you that the boat sprung a leak before it sunk? It reminds me of the episode of The Simpsons where Bart bought a factory, he comes back the next morning, it has fallen over, he has this conversation with Milhouse:
Bart: Milhouse! I told you to watch it!!
Milhouse: I did! First it started to fall over, then it fell over!

:D

Disclaimer: Yes, I know that there are situations where someone on the boat could prevent it from sinking, I am just thinking about the other option, which led to a funny Simpsons reference.

Most inflatable boats I have seen or owned have multiple chambers and are nearly as tough as an automobile tire. They are not pool toys that might pop and sink.

N

I ferried a Volvo across the harbor in Reykjavik, Iceland in a Zodiac. I think it was a Grand Raid Mk V, definitely not a pool toy.

Is it like this?

Seriously, I dove from our Novurania Canucro, 14 footer for years. I have not used the boat other than as a party float for a long time since we have had three BWs along the way. But, I always anchored unless the dive was intended to be a drift (applicable to South Florida and parts of the Keys) in which case I removed the heavy anchor and used a small clevis anchor/grapple and then just carried the anchor. The small clevis anchor allowed me to set the anchor down for a moment, but only for a moment.

Thanks for your post, as you see I am in south Florida and here most of the dives are drift dives, so would be safe to use the litle inflatable boat as a buoy for your dive flag attached to the reel line.
From your post you sed that you used a small anchor that you would carried, my question is howthis was influencing your buoiancy.
Thanks
Paul[-][/-]

Thanks for your post, as you see I am in south Florida and here most of the dives are drift dives, so would be safe to use the litle inflatable boat as a buoy for your dive flag attached to the reel line.
From your post you sed that you used a small anchor that you would carried, my question is howthis was influencing your buoiancy.
Thanks
Paul[-][/-]

Seriously, you could dive from a boat perhaps slightly larger than the one I posted a pic of. If you are just doing extended beach diving and using it as a giant inner tube float/base station should work just fine.

The type of anchor I am talking about is the small folding clevis anchors that are between 1.5 and 5 pounds. You wing/BC can easily handle that. Something like this:

Amazon.com: Folding Anchor 1.5Lb Galvanized Folding Anchor: Sports & Outdoors

Just remember, little boats, big ocean, use some common sense.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom