Diving from Miami

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mikko Ilari Laakkonen

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings!

I'm considering to buy an offer packet of flight tickets that would include week in Miami and week in Curacao. Would you guys have suggestions of diving and accommodation in Miami? Since there's no hotels booked it's of course not a problem to travel a bit if there's a good reason. We have quite a lot of luggage though 'cause we're mainly bringing our own gear.

No idea what to do, suggestions please! :)

Well wrecks are my favorite dives :) .. What would be the must-see wreck dives in Florida? Easy penetration and depths to 150ft are ok.

Mixed gas? Deco? Standard gases?

---------- Post added September 29th, 2013 at 07:14 PM ----------

Ha the human centipede was awesome.

Air/nitrox, little deco doesn't hurt but i'm still looking for recreational diving. My buddy has no experience in tech and she'll be diving single tank. I haven't yet decided will i take my singletank travel set or sidemount set

Yeah Human centipede was disturbingly awesome. Plans are building up. We're arriving sunday evening and I'm renting a car, hopefully i can also arrange a pick up for rental tanks and lead. Then we'll drive straight south to Keys, maybe key largo to sleep. Few days in the Keys with a couple of boat wreck dives and driving around. After that the plan is to see if the Everglades have anything nice to see on oyr way but head up north to ft. Lauderdale area to dive some more wrecks. Then maybe a last night in heart of Miami Will Smith style when the heat is on, all night on the beach till the break of dawn.

I would say the must do wrecks are the Duane and Spiegel Grove in the Keys. If you are in Miami Wed night there is a decent dive that I will be on with RJs.

October 9th, Wednesday @ 6:00 PM..............the Tortuga (110') and the Tanks (45')

Mikko,

Your best bet is to drive down to Key Largo - it's one hour from Coconut Grove in Miami. If you're into wrecks, the Spiegel Grove is the best wreck dive in Southern Florida and is a must-do. Ocean Divers is a great dive op and so is Silent Immersion, who have two dive trips to the Spiegel Grove. About 30 minutes north of Miami is Fort Lauderdale, which also has great wreck diving. Both of these options, in my opinion, are better to the dives you'll do in Miami. Have fun!

Ok, i've decided to drive down straight to Key Largo from the airport and spend few days there and then drive to spend the rest of the week somewhere in ft. Lauderdale.

My question about the keys is that are there any operators who would offer 4 or even 3 dive day trips to wrecks? Almost all i've found from google are two dives and the second dive is a reef.

- Mikko Laakkonen -

I love diving and teaching others to dive.

---------- Post added October 28th, 2013 at 08:49 AM ----------

And i'd prefer an operator who treats everybody like beginners. I don't need guidance or divemasters besides a good briefings if the sites. Nitrox would be nice of we can find an operator that can make a trip with several dives. Helium won't be needed, not going that deep.

Still looking for dive center. .?

And oh how are the waters in winter? I rarely get cold, would my 3mm wetsuit be enough in Florida salt water february or should i bring the drysuit?

- Mikko Laakkonen -

I love diving and teaching others to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom