Diving Hilo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveprn

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am planing to work in Hilo for 13 weeks. Can anyone tell me how the diving is there?
I have dove Kona.

Valerie

I have friends that tell me Hilo diving can be fun. The vis tends to suck a little more than Kona because it is always raining. I guess Richardson's is one of the better shore dives in the area.

I am planing to work in Hilo for 13 weeks. Can anyone tell me how the diving is there?
I have dove Kona.

Valerie

Hi Valerie,

Hilo is on the windward side of the island, and so we are subject to the "whims" of the weather. The tradewinds will effect the water conditions here, so when the wind blows, diving conditions will deteriorate. Being on the windward side also means the rainy & cloudy side, and overcast conditions will reduce the total amount of ambient light underwater, making things look "gloomy" even when the water clarity is actually good.

The best dive spot close to Hilo is Leleiwi, about 10 minutes from downtown Hilo. It is one of my favorite dives on the entire island.... when conditions are good.

Leleiwi is a fairly easy shore entry, off a low lava shelf into chest-deep water. The parking lot is about 50 yards from the entry point. You sort of sit down on the lava edge, and skooch/fall into the water. The reef starts about 10 yards from the entry, in about 10 feet of water, and gradually slopes to about 20 feet; then a drop to about 30-45', and another drop to 60-70 feet. The coral is in good shape, with good variety and good formations.

Visibility ranges from "Kona-like" (>90-100 feet) when the ocean has been calm for several days and the sun is out, to "murky" (10-20 feet) when the ocean has been rough. I'd say the average here in Hilo is in the 40-60 foot range (horizontal visibility; vertical viz is always greater, but not the "real" measure).

Sealife in Hilo is the real attraction for me. I've seen more sea turtles here than anywhere else I've ever dove, anywhere. There is a good variety of reef fish in good numbers.

The catch is always that diving here is so weather-dependant. This summer the weather has been pretty decent for diving... other years, pretty hit and miss.

What I always recommend to divers who are visiting the Big Island is to plan your dives for the Kona and Kohala sides of the island, where the weather is more cooperative. Hopefully you'll get some dives in on the Hilo side as well, but Kona/Kohala are always safer bets.

Best wishes.

Thank you for all of the information. I did look up weather for Hilo and now I know why it is so green. I have not decided to take my assignment there yet but, the diving sound good anyway.
Valerie

Back
Top Bottom