Diving in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hester

Reaction score
My husband and I are planning a trip to Belize next year July/August. We plan to do about 10 days of diving, and then some travelling around. I have been reading about the different areas in Belize, and have a couple of questions. Hopefully, one of you experienced travellers have some answers for me!

We have both done about 50 dives. During the first ten days in Belize, we would like to do about 2 to 3 dives a day. We would love to escape the crowds, and like a good dinner after diving!

-> What is Glover's reef like to in terms of accomodation, tranquility, diving? If you stay at one of the resorts there, do the dive operators only dive around/near the atoll or can you also make day trips to further spots?

-> I have understood Placencia and Dangriga are somewhat more remote than e.g. Ambergris Caye. Does anybody have experience with accomodation there, what's the diving like there in terms of sites and diver operators?

-> Is it worthwhile to stay on one of the atolls Turneffe or Lighthouse? I understand the dive operators organize trips from Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker, so that's probably not the issue?

Furthermore, I am very interested in any tips, advice, experiences etc on Belize!

Thanks a lot!

Hester
:)

We stayed at Turneffe Flats for a week and loved it. Basically 3 dives a day (2 morning, 1 afternoon) and AWESOME food. They have a great dive boat and staff that will make you feel like family.

-Jon

Hester once bubbled...
My husband and I are planning a trip to Belize next year July/August. We plan to do about 10 days of diving, and then some travelling around. I have been reading about the different areas in Belize, and have a couple of questions. Hopefully, one of you experienced travellers have some answers for me!

We have both done about 50 dives. During the first ten days in Belize, we would like to do about 2 to 3 dives a day. We would love to escape the crowds, and like a good dinner after diving!

-> What is Glover's reef like to in terms of accomodation, tranquility, diving? If you stay at one of the resorts there, do the dive operators only dive around/near the atoll or can you also make day trips to further spots?

-> I have understood Placencia and Dangriga are somewhat more remote than e.g. Ambergris Caye. Does anybody have experience with accomodation there, what's the diving like there in terms of sites and diver operators?

-> Is it worthwhile to stay on one of the atolls Turneffe or Lighthouse? I understand the dive operators organize trips from Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker, so that's probably not the issue?

Furthermore, I am very interested in any tips, advice, experiences etc on Belize!

Thanks a lot!

Hester
:)

Lighthouse Reef Resort should suit you perfectly - 3 dives per day, nice-to-great dive sites, short runs, easy diving, very good dining and attentive staff.

If you're interested, I'll e-mail you a recent review (.pdf format only). Let me know at Don.Acheson@verizon.net.

Dpn

Even though some Ambergris Cay & Belize City dive ops may offer trips to some of the outer atolls, these are still longish boat rides over sometimes rough water (especially in the spring), and aren't always offered or doable. Consistent access to all of the sites around an outer atoll is greatly facilitated by staying on one.

Yes, Dangriga & Placencia are more remote, but except for a very specific reason I wouldn't select either over one of the outer atolls. You can find my last trip report on Placencia in this thread from our archives ----> http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14347&highlight=placencia

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Glovers Reef is no longer offering accomodatiosn there the last I heard they closed Manta Resort.

Placencia I think Docs report will cover and the Hopkins area which is now starting to be heavily promoted has some very nice resorts but the diving is located quite a ways out almost an hour to a diveable site.

The more south you go the further away from the Barrier reef you get for example Ambergris being the most northerly the Barrier reef is just a quarter mile away, placencia the reef is an 45 minutes to an hours fast boat ride away.

It really depends on what yu want, the outer Atols of turneffe and Lighthose both are remote and offer luxury resorts and very nice diving but not much else.

Ambergris does have access to the Atolls but it takes about hour and a half t get to the Blue Hole and Lighthouse but Ambergris also offers a variety of other activities like Cave tubing trips, Mayan Ruin adventures, shopping dining etc and of course Local ond offshore diving.

Dive Safe

Gaz

The best dive resort I've ever visited is St. George's Caye, Belize. It doesn't market itself as visibly as some of the other full-service dive resorts in Belize (Lighthouse, Glovers, Turneffe, Manta), but this is because Fred Goode (owner, proprieter) prefers small crowds and relies on word of mouth repeats. They pick you up at the airport and transport you by a 30ish minute boatride to the Caye (the closest caye to Belize City). There is one boat, and it's never been full when I was there. Fred goes on almost every dive himself and knows the reef inside out. He's also a brilliant instructor (taught my 62-yr-old mother to dive and love it). The food is brillant and served family style. IF you want a small, family-like resort with a dive-master who seems to know everything about the sea, this is the place for you. If you're a non-diver, though, there is nothing else to do, though you could snorkle from the boat. The island is mostly holiday homes for wealthy belizeans, and unoccupied except at holidays. Fred is also a godsend for experienced divers because he doesn't cramp your style or make you come back before you're ready or out of air. Undercurrent also has many great reviews of this place. I've been twice and would go every year if I could afford it.

http://www.gooddiving.com/

Heather

Without doubt Fred runs a top knotch operation but as with where my resort is the diving doe not compare to the Atolls of Belize such as lighthouse and Glovers.

If your going to belize JUST FOR DIVING and DIVING ALONE then it has to be Glovers or Lighthouse reef or a Liveaboard.

If you looking for stuff other than just diving Ambergris or Freds place would suit just fine.

Dive Safe

Gaz=-)

Oddly enough, one of the best reefs I saw in Belize (been there twice now to different areas) was snorkeling at the Hol-Chan marine reserve. If you are in the neighborhood (offshore from Ambergris Caye as I recall, but that was 10 years ago), it is not to be missed.

I was at Hol Chan a few weeks ago. All of the nurse sharks disappeared. The place is too popular with the folks on the cruise ships. They think it's driving the sea life away.

There are many terrific dive spots off Ambergris Caye, mind you. I just don't necessarily think you should be specifying those top sites you've read about when you're setting up your tours because the less frequented may prove to be the most interesting these days.
Trust the guides, they know what's going on in the waters.

Natalie

Back
Top Bottom