Diving in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glover's Reef was said to be the best diving when I moved to Belize....17 years ago. I've been there on my boat a few times. It is pretty good. The northeast tip is nice. Lot of current. The whole east side is pretty nice too.
Glover's Atoll Resort, Belize
Go to Sittee River and they take you out on a half of a trimaran. Yep, that's right. Cut in half.

I like Turneffe too. The Elbow is a special place. One of the fishiest I've ever seen.

Where are you stationed? Too bad I'm in Thailand for the next couple years. I could take you diving on my boat out of Sittee River.

I will definitely check out Glover's Reef then. I'm at the barracks at Ladyville. Are there many sites further down the southern end of the country?

I will definitely check out Glover's Reef then. I'm at the barracks at Ladyville. Are there many sites further down the southern end of the country?

There are a lot of backpacker type places on Tobacco Caye, southeast of Dangriga. More of a party atmosphere. The diving in that area, Southwater Marine Reserve, is different than San Pedro and Caulker. It's not the "spur and groove" bottom. More walls. There are resorts on Southwater Caye also, just south of Tobacco, but probably a bit more pricey. I free dive all the cuts south of SW Caye. Spearfishing. The second cut, going south of SW, is really nice to scuba dive. It reminds me of the Elbow of Turneffe. Very fishy. At least free diving....some of the fish are "bubble educated" meaning someone is probably shooting fish on scuba to feed customers at resorts.

The bad news is, all that's about an hour and a half to two hours drive from Ladyville. And another half hour or more boatride out. If you get weekends off, go out there on Friday night. But also, Ladyville is just a short hop to Caulker or San Pedro too. (20 minutes or so on Tropic) You'll get it wired. Have fun !!

Hi guys, I'm due to deploy to Belize for 6 months in a few weeks, and have decided to pack my dive kit instead of a load of my military kit (naughty boy I know, but at least my priorities are straight!!). Other than the Blue Hole which I will am already pricing up, what sites would you recommend visiting?

I'm also open to dive sites around Belize, eg in SE Mexico and and Caribbean Islands eg Cuba that I can hit easily with a puddle jumper. I really want to make the most of my time and really smash out some fantastic dives.

Thanks in advance for the help guys
I learned to dive on St George's Cay, whilst on my 6 month tour.

I used to book a complete boat, get rations from the cookhouse and beer from the NAAFI for a day trip. Always asked one of the cooks along FOC to run the barbecue. Had a great time out there.

As for diving, there is so much to see in Belize you don't need to go elsewhere. I've over 400 dives logged from Ambergris Caye right down to the Sapodilla Cayes Marine Park.

I've been back 7 times since my posting and plan another trip soon.

Edward

I learned to dive on St George's Cay, whilst on my 6 month tour.

I used to book a complete boat, get rations from the cookhouse and beer from the NAAFI for a day trip. Always asked one of the cooks along FOC to run the barbecue. Had a great time out there.

As for diving, there is so much to see in Belize you don't need to go elsewhere. I've over 400 dives logged from Ambergris Caye right down to the Sapodilla Cayes Marine Park.

I've been back 7 times since my posting and plan another trip soon.

Edward

Things have changed now - there isn't a cookhouse for staff any more, so no BBQ or lunch rations anymore :(- we're self-catered, the exercising units bring their own chefs out though. Will definitely be heading out to as many different dive sites as possible - basically gonna have most weekends to myself so will be rinsing every wet moment I can out of it

I'm a BSAC Advanced Diver at the moment, with a view to preparing for my First Class at some point in the near future

Sorry didn't notice your signature line.

With some operators out there you'll initially be thought of the same as PADI AOW, but they'll learn. The Blue Hole is a do once and forget it dive, but if you get the opportunity to dive the seaward side of the atoll then that's worth it.

Don't any other permanent staff dive?

Just a note of caution, worth reading up on Belize's (2016, I think) recreational diving regulations - similar to those in Malta.

No worries, it needs emboldening I think lol.
There are only about 25 of us, including a lot of local civvies so won't know about them until I get there. I don't' think any of the mil staff do. I figured I'd work on the principle of being the only diver, then anything/anyone else is a bonus to smooth the way.

Yeah, I kind of figured that would be the case, FWIW I'm taking my QRB as has evidence of depth training to 50m etc. Blue Hole is on the list, have added the atoll as well now.

The regulations are already packed for my in-air perusal across the pond because I'm cool like that :crafty:

worth reading up on Belize's (2016, I think) recreational diving regulations

Edward,

I think you mentioned the Belize regs in the past, any key points of interest? Below was the gist I got from reading it. I'm leaving out a lot to be sure.

Michael

1.1-1.2) Rules for sale of ‘diving packages’ for public, not for instruction.
- Is the instruction exemption effective?
3.1) All visiting certified divers to Belize shall be accompanied by a certified dive master that is a licensed Belize tour guide.
- Seems the key point.
4.2.1) If diver declares medical condition, must show medical clearance.
4.2.3) Dives planned in accordance with scuba agency of tour operator.
- good I’m sure
4.2.4) Capable of delivering oxygen to any diver(s) with DCS to suitable evac site or medical facility.
- Sounds good. Is that 100% O2, for plural divers?
5.4) Diving equipment may consist <of various stuff>
- An odd list, as it does not say *must* consist of.
5.4) Air and visual analysis must be maintained.
E) Blue hole divers must be screened, up to operators discretion to proceed.
- Ok. Good to raise the issue, but seems light on requirements,
particularly as it has three cert level check off options: OW, AOW, other.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom