Diving in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DayWalker

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recomendations. Who do dive with, when to go, and where to stay. My wife will be traveling with me, she is not a diver but likes to snorkel. I am pondering a liveaboard but I don't think that she would enjoy that much.

DayWalker:
Does anyone have any recomendations. Who do dive with, when to go, and where to stay. My wife will be traveling with me, she is not a diver but likes to snorkel. I am pondering a liveaboard but I don't think that she would enjoy that much.

The easiest diving is from San Pedro or Caye Caulker. Amigo Del Mar is a good outfit. I used to rent tanks from them. You can see the reef which is only about half mile out, and good snorkeling at shark ray alley. Hard to snorkel from the beach in San Pedro though because of heavy boat traffic. the diving down south is better I believe but you have to go about 20 miles by boat from Placencia out to the reef. There is good snorkeling on the inner small cayes too.
Peak season here is Dec-Apr. Personally I like the summer months better. There is the slight risk of hurricanes but you get calmer water in between. The seas are pretty choppy during peak season. And you may get better rates in the off season. Try find Gaz Cooper. He's up to date on all the San Pedro happenings. He used to be at the north end of San Pedro. Hank

DayWalker:

Wife and I will be taking our third trip to Turneffe Isle Lodge. 3 dives per day, wonderful food, snorkeling, kayaks etc.

They pick you up at Princess Hotel in Belize City.

Thanks for all of the replies. There is a new development at the Lighthouse Atoll in Long Caye. Has anyone made a visit?

DayWalker:

Take a gander at the current thread "over by dere" in the Central America Forum...

http://www.scubaboard.com/t77977-belize-aggressor.html

... more about liveaboards.

If your wife is happy spending her days lazing about, lying on the beach, and snorkeling, then Lighthouse or Turneffe atolls might be great. But if she'd get bored -- or if you both prefer to mix in some land activities -- then you might look at staying in Placencia or vicinity. From there you can do Mayan ruins, Monkey River tour, jungle canopy tour, jaguar sanctuary, etc. We stayed a few days on Ambergris Caye, enjoyed the diving, but didn't care for the atmosphere in San Pedro. We were much happier once we got to Placencia, but we like to do a range of activities, so depends on what you're looking for.

Back
Top Bottom