diving in fresh water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy:
Here it is...

It was done by Terrance Tysall and Mike Zee.

The Edmund Fitzgerald - 1995 Expedition

A couple of years ago I met Terrence during a private charter on a CAD dive boat.
He complimented my hat with a "Hey, nice tewk !" comment. Now, when anyone
ridicules my hat I simply smile, knowing that Terrence, the man who dove "The Big
Fitz", likes my hat :dazzler1:

I have done 90% of my diving in fresh water. I live in the 1000 Islands region in Canada where we have the best fresh water wreck diving in the world! (1000 Islands = 2000 shoals). VIS is anywhere from 30 to 100 feet with beautifully preserved wrecks. We also have current/drift diving and in the river itself the water temp gets up into the low 70's without a thermo-cline ... warm water top to bottom (my max depth to date is 140 feet without a hood!!). Nearby the great lakes contain hundreds of wrecks which are well preserved in colder water due to the thermo-cline. Downstream we have the "Lost Villages" towns etc that were flooded when they put in the St Lawrence Seaway in the late 1950's. Lots of excellent diving and no rinsing required!!

Eric

Hi stogey,

As much as I love ocean diving, the local fresh water is closer and more convenient. I've dove quite a spectrum of lakes in Connecticut, and water quality/vis varies from spot to spot. Just this past summer, I've had 1' vis (a pond with not a whole lot of throughflow) to 20' vis (spring fed lake). Good times. You should hit freshwater just to experience the thermocline. Brr!

Stogey, we've done that Clarke Point (in Wolfboro) dive way to many times. It's our bail out spot when the ocean is trashed. This year we did it a couple of times, last year I did it 5 or 6 times. It's is a fun/easy dive and the bass are a blast.

The following is my opinion only, but I am just not impressed with fresh water diving. I would much rather jump in the ocean. Fresh water is easier but there's not anywhere near as much to see. My buddy once described good visibility in a lake as being able to see nothing from further away.

I love diving in the little reservoir I live on. On a bright sunny day, the vis is decent (depending on time of year and recent weather). I see TONS of fish, snapping turtles and artifacts. Found a dollar bill glowing in the sun ripe for the picking one day. There are fishing line hazards and it gets gloomy deeper than 20' but it is just as fun and the Atlantic in New England, although, no lobsters... alright, maybe not quite as fun but a decent, local dive for me, keeps my skills up when I can't get to the coast. Also freaks out the swimmers when I surface!! They never expect to see me!

Like many of the others have said, diving fresh water is a lot of fun. You see a lot of fish and other beings you just don't see in the ocean. Plus, it's a LOT closer. If you ever get a chance, dive with Green Manelishi. Pick his brain. :)

Shell, you're reservoir is ice-covered now, right?

epconti:
If you ever get a chance, dive with Green Manelishi. Pick his brain. :)

But please don't pick too hard ... my head might collapse :)

Eric, sorry we had no further dives together. Perhaps later this year?

Green_Manelishi:
But please don't pick too hard ... my head might collapse :)

Eric, sorry we had no further dives together. Perhaps later this year?

Sounds good. The new house really put a crimp on diving this year for me.

gfisher4792:
Hi stogey,

As much as I love ocean diving, the local fresh water is closer and more convenient. I've dove quite a spectrum of lakes in Connecticut, and water quality/vis varies from spot to spot. Just this past summer, I've had 1' vis (a pond with not a whole lot of throughflow) to 20' vis (spring fed lake). Good times. You should hit freshwater just to experience the thermocline. Brr!

Hey gfisher4794,
Just curious what lakes in CT you've been in. So far for CT lakes I've just been in Squantz Pond and West Hill Pond. Good for practice/tune ups and there seems to be some interesting stuff on the bottom. Anything from scuba gear to old bottles, you name it. Just gotta watch the fishing line and boaters....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom