Diving in Italy ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iphiclides once bubbled...
In tuscany. the island of elba has got some brilliant dives. huge forests of gorgonians and colourful sponges and lots of fish, plenty of dive centres.

did you do this on your own or did you charter a boat (use a shop?). I think this spring Italy may be on the itinerary and it would be pretty cool to get some diving in!

SirStoneyOfBow once bubbled...
i snorkeled off the adriatic coast of italy close to Rimini and found it amazing - and all i did was snorkel!

that part of Italy, for me, is very bad!! almost no fish, only sand!!
I wonder how you could have enjoyed snorkelling in there!! :wacko:

ciao

I agree the tuscany islands are very interesting as well as ustica island in the south and especially Sardinia.
I wouldn't dive near San Vincenzo unless you are Very interested in wrecks.
Water is 14 C in march and 20 C in august in the north, a little warmer in the south.
Best spots to me:
Portofino (Genua)
La Maddalena (Sardinia)
Ustica (sicily)
Capraia,Giglio and Elba (tuscany)
Palinuro (Naples, excellent for caves).
Marettimo (sicily)

best whishes

Adiver:
Ciao
I'm an instructor working in Toscana. My suggestion is to visit the islands in front of Tuscany cost,like Elba Gigio Giannutri Capraia.
The best is to get there by ferry and find location at arrival. About diving spot the best suggestions u can get from peoples at Bar...

The cost is full of Wrecks specially near a place called San Vincenzo.
Baratti is an other intresting place where u can have archeodive sites...
I have contact if u are interest in these places

Antonio

mad:
yes, Portofino is very nice BUT it's a park: there are severe rules to follow and you are mostly forced to use a diving center and costs grow.
Rules are more or less these: park is divided in 3 areas and one is off limit (area A). In area B you can dive but before going you need a pass bought at the marine coast. You also must be a dive master at least and need one scuba-guide every 3 divers. Only a precise number of boat can go in some sites everyday.
Depth limits are also very severe, depending on your licence. For DM it's 40 mt, open 18, adv-rescue 30 mt. Controls are frequent.
If you want to know more, tell me.

Ciao, Marco
Marco,
surely would like some more info on Portofino. We will be there in May. Both of us are DM and are living in the Virgin Islands. So...how cold is the water and will it be as nice as here? What might it cost us? Thanks for any help.
Ginny

I don't know about Toscana but it's nice. Elba is cool
you can read an article or justa take a look at picts:
dive at Calafuria (Toscana)

Sardinia is very nice, specially the north of it!

ciao

Geez:
Marco,
surely would like some more info on Portofino. We will be there in May. Both of us are DM and are living in the Virgin Islands. So...how cold is the water and will it be as nice as here? What might it cost us? Thanks for any help.
Ginny

Ginny I live quite close to Portofino but what I can tell you is this: dives are expensive (35-45 Euro) but very nice. Water in May is 9-11° at -35 mt depth, semidry is good, dry better!
costs...
Portofino is VERY expensive, it's famous for that. I suggest you to stay in Rapallo or Zoagli (8 km from Portofino) and reach it with local divings.

If you like wrecks take a visit to HAVEN near Genoa!!

Sincerly I refuse to pay 40 Euro for a dive so I don't go there!!

Ciao, Marco

Hi Marco,

I am going to live in Bergamo for the next 6 months, and I am planning to take my diving stuff with me... can you give some more information about where to dive near Genua (I understood that's 2 hrs from Bergano), . I have my adv ow and meid first aid. I dived in the netherlands and in France, belgium, spain and Egypt. End of april I'll go do a south safari to Egypt... . Is it possibleto do my rescue course some where and how much costs this??

Thanks,
a crazy dutch diver

I am planning a trip a Giglio and am interested in learning how to dive. Could someone reccomend a place that teaches in English? How much do diving lessons cost?
Jessica

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom