Question Diving in Jamaica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone ever been scuba diving in Jamaica? If so where? Thanks
We’ve been six times, first time in 2003, most recent in 2019. Every trip was to the Couples resort in Negril.

Diving improved up until around 2015, and then, as much as I hate to admit, declined markedly.

When we first started diving there, a sign posted outside of the dive shop made notice of a marine preserve. By 2015 the sign was gone and the evidence was obvious.

Others may have impressions from other parts of the island.

We love it there and it was a big disappointment when we dived there in 2019.

We’ve been six times, first time in 2003, most recent in 2019. Every trip was to the Couples resort in Negril.

Diving improved up until around 2015, and then, as much as I hate to admit, declined markedly.

When we first started diving there, a sign posted outside of the dive shop made notice of a marine preserve. By 2015 the sign was gone and the evidence was obvious.

Thanks that’s what I thought

Yet when I said it was poor in 2015, you constantly challenged me... Glad you came to a realization that they have destroyed their reefs and fish populations...

We went in 2014 and thought it was pretty fished out, if 2015 and later got worse can’t imagine what there would be. We were couples swept away for reference. Lovely resort and had a great time, but the diving was meh at best (but nice warm water).

50 shades of brown. Loved Negril but stopped diving in JA, the deadness was depressing.

Been 3x. Runaway Bay and Ocho - There is no scuba there. I was in Negril 2015 and it is the only place to dive. I dont have multiple trips to Negril to corroborate the fished out comments. What I can tell you, Sandals does not let you go deeper than 60 ft without an AOW card

Have to admit that the reef quality has declined since 2015.

When we last went there was December 2019 and then prior to that August 2016.

In 2019 we were using the on-site at Couples Negril, after using off-site ops previously.

Our first clue was the absence of the marine preserve signs we had seen by the dive shop, confirmed by a clear degradation of the reef life.

Notwithstanding some other guests who apparently were regulars and were “in control”, the entire experience was disappointing.

We will be going back, at least one more time, in May 2023 (our 20th wedding anniversary), and will be diving with an off-site.

I’ll update at that time.

Dove Negril about 3 years ago. The dive master that was diving with me speared the only queen angel we saw. The deeper reefs were a little better but I will not go back until they do some serious protection and restoration of their reefs.

Back
Top Bottom