Diving in Jupiter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally I prefer reels in open ocean. IMO spools are more diffficult to wind-up during the ascent when I would rather take in the ocean's sights and keep an eye on the other divers. With my BP/Wing set-up the reel is attached to the D-ring at the back of my crotch strap which is within my slip stream and out of the way. Manta makes high quality reels. I use the Mini but several of my friends like the larger Jr model. For what its worth here are the links or just visit JDC...

Manta Industries - Products

Personally I prefer reels in open ocean. IMO spools are more diffficult to wind-up during the ascent when I would rather take in the ocean's sights and keep an eye on the other divers. With my BP/Wing set-up the reel is attached to the D-ring at the back of my crotch strap which is within my slip stream and out of the way. Manta makes high quality reels. I use the Mini but several of my friends like the larger Jr model. For what its worth here are the links or just visit JDC...

I agree 100% and I use the Manta mini as well.

That girl in the video has some awesome boyancy control. It does appear that she is in a quarry just above a platform. A little less complicated then the ocean, still impressive skills.

Yup - you really nailed Jupiter - no one dives there anymore - its too crowded (w/ apologies to Yogi Berra) :rofl3::rofl3:

Jupiter diving sucks. Don't try it. :D

Deploying at depth has two advantages IMO. The first being if using a larger bag it will be fuller and more visable to the boat as compared to a SS deployment. Secondly, deploying a few miuntes earlier at depth should in theory increase your chances of being picked-up earlier thereby reducing your chances of being struck by myopic boat operators. I really like Halcyon's and Oxycheq's back plate pockets for storing primary SMB's/lift bags.

Ditto here. I have a 40# 5ft x ~6in marker stoed in a Halcyon MC pac. I send it from the bottom on a Manta reel. (From <100ft.) Easy to get a full bag from depth.

I also have a second, slightly smaller marker I carry on some dives. It is attached to a delrin spool with 45ft of line. I send it from ~ 40 ft. I used to use Angie's method. The delrin spool is ok in that it floats in the water and if you let it go, instead of dropping, it will unspool in front of you until the bag hits the surface.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom