Diving in Kas, Turkey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reign180

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone done any diving in Kas recently?

My girlfriend and I are heading over there in August and were hoping to get some info about the dive shops, dive sites not to be missed, and general life of the city.

Thanks.

Sorry for this late reply as I assume you have even turned back to your country. But someone else might use this information later.

1-) Canyon - Dimitri Wreck

This is a must location at Kas. Top of the canyon is about 3-4 meters and the bottom is about 20 meters. After that you continue down to Dimitri Wreck (sunk during a strom when she was carrying cotton, that's why this site is also called as cotton wreck) which is between 30 and 42 meters. Carefull with the drift when you are diving between the boat and start of the canyon. After you start diving at the canyon drift ends.

2-) Coast Guard Wreck

It was sunk to 18 meters for scuba diving. After a storm it changed its place :) Now it is at between 35-45 meters.

3-) C 47 Dakota Wreck

C 47 plane was sunk for scuba activities. Around it, it is not uncommon to see caretta caretta's.

Kaş is a small touristical town. It has a good night life with several clubs, restaurants etc. But don't expect hunders of night clubs as it is a small town :)

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies.
We actually had to put our travel plans on hold until this year. So we're heading over to Kas at the beginning of August.
Looking at getting six days of diving in Kas.

My girlfriend and I both love wrecks so thank you Fedaykin for your suggestions. And we're super happy that Kas is a small town with not much partying, it's all about the diving!

Teşekkür ederim.

I was in Kas for two weeks last year in june, so I thought I would give you a little info also. You won’t be in need of dive operators, there are lots in Kas and most of them operate from their boats. Diving is very relaxed, as most of the dive sites is only 15 – 25 minutes boat ride from the harbor. The boats generally leave at 10 AM and go out for 1 or 2 dives and then return to the harbor for lunch. Go out again at around 3 PM for more dives.

Being the Mediterranean, don’t expect the very best of colorful reefs and animal abundance. On the other hand, the visibility is generally very good and there are some quite nice reefs around the sites called Neptune and Kouali. When I was there, there were quite a lot of turtles, both big and small, especially around a site called Lighthouse reef. They are accustomed to divers so you can get really close and watch them feed off the bottom vegetation.

It’s a nice small city, but as already said, there is not a lot to do in the evenings apart from dining and there are many good restaurants to choose from. Don’t miss the mezes. The baby squid at Ehl-i Keyf is a treat.

Hope you have a nice vacation and some good diving.

Hi Stgcph,

Thanks for all the info, that's really helpful.
Did you get to dive any of the wrecks?

Yes, I did the Dimitri Wreck at the Canyon at 30+ meters and also the C 47 Dakota Wreck at 20-25 meters. You can easily enter the Dakota through the big cargo door, it’s quite funny, at least if you are not used to penetrate wrecks (which I am not)

Back
Top Bottom