Diving in Key Largo, Fl...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heelsfaninpa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Good Evening Everyone. I hope everyone had a great Christmas and will have a very wet New Year!

I have talked my wife into letting me catch a flight down to Florida in February and I have decided that I would like to try Key Largo. From what I have read, it seems as if this area offers a lot of different types of dives, not to mention the Spiegel Grove.

Does anyone have an recommendations for a dive charter to use in Key Largo? Also, if anyone has a link for diving conditions in the area, that would be great too. I will be traveling alone, as my wife does not dive (her loss...lol).

Thanks in advance!
Frankie

Conch Republic Tavernier - Gary is great.

Georgia at Ocean Divers in Key Largo would be a great choice as well to dive with!

For relatively inexpensive accomodations (but very pleasant) and a first class dive operation, try Amy Slate's Amory Dive Center. Have also been pleased with Horizon Divers and It's A Dive at the Marriott.

I personally would recommend trying Island Ventures!

Key Largo Florida Keys Dive Operators Island Ventures

Owner/Operators Darrell and Ann have ALWAYS treated us great and I will always dive with them when I head to Key Largo!

They operate smaller less crowed boats (x2).

I suggest at least giving them a try one day even if you go with another outfit.

For weather conditions in the Keys:

NDBC - Station MLRF1

NDBC - NWS Forecast

I use Ocean Divers and Quiescence in Key Largo...of course Conch Republic in Tavernier is top notch.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

-J.-

I would recomend Rainbow Reef Dive Center Dive Key Largo, Islamorada, Florida Keys with Rainbow Reef Dive Center;scuba diving:diving, Florida keys, florida diving located next to the Ramada Hotel at MM 100. The great staff makes the trip. You also have the amazing dive locations Molassis Reef, Benwood, Spiegal Grove, Duane and Bibb. Weather is up the air in the winter water will probably be around 75 sea's can be pretty choppy. Some other good dive shops are Sea Dwellers, Horizon Divers, and Blue Water Divers. Enjoy the Key's!

Thanks guys. This is a good start. I checked out Conch Republic and Amy Slates...and their prices are very comparable.

I was also worried about the weather during February. It's a chance I'll have to take. Living up here in the north east, there's no chance of getting wet until the spring. At least my chances are much greater in FLA.

If anyone has any more suggestions, please let me know. I will check 'em all out!

Thanks,
Frankie

Quiescience for six-pack boats. Ocean Divers otherwise. Both are very good operations. Can't go wrong with either.

Having a cold beer at Sharkys after diving with Ocen Divers is hard to beat!

Mark

Feb can be very hit or miss in Florida. Cold fronts equal big winds and no diving. They roll through every week or two or so. Somehow they always time themselves to weekends while the middle of the week is dead calm- sucks for us locals. No matter, I have no idea how you feel about diving in big seas, but the odds are better of getting out on bigger boats. Ocean Divers uses a 46 foot Newton which is probably your best bet in Key Largo. I much prefer the smaller boats such as Blue Water Diver, but if the wind is blowing Ocean Divers is usually the last to pack it in. Just be sure to use common sense and dive within your training and experience level.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom