Diving in Kuwait

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm... When did I say not too worry about wetsuits? Too bloody cold now - down to 20 degrees in some places - I ain't getting in water until my drysuit has been fixed!

Hello,
I may be taking a position in Kuwait starting in August. I am curious what the diving is like and if you can legally spearfish? I have head that visability can be hit or miss but any other issues? The water gets cold enough for a dry suit?

Also, what you think about life in Kuwait and how does it differ than the U.S? Other than the ovious like no alcohol issue and Ramadan.

I am looking at a teaching position and curious what everyone else does in Kuwait? Any other teachers?

Thanks for any help or advice

I,m a teacher in Kuwait (six years) and can tell you that life in Kuwait is ...well......different. Life here is easy, maids for very reasonable cost, (I pay above the average scale and give my maid 2 days off a week, bonus of a months salary at Christmas, I've been with her for years, she thinks the sun shines out of my... People to do everything for you including washing my car everynight, bringing in the groceries, running errands etc.

That being said Kuwait is the most rascist place you can imagine. Kuwaiti's are arrogant and treat us like yesterdays kleenex.. ( Gross generalization, some are quite nice) but they treat the Asians like crap, maid abuse is rampant, many maids have to run from their employers because of physical and sexual abuse.

The driving is awful! Nobody here learns how to drive, they get their licenses through wasta and accidents are way too common. The road system is completely overwhelmed and traffic jams can be horrible.

The money for teachers is no longer great, but the life is easy and the school year short. The children are all brought up by Philipino maids, they are arropgant and rude as are the parents. (See note above concerning overgeneralization.) Many teachers quit after the first year, can't hack the attitude. Accept that you are a hired gun, take the money ($60 per hour to tutor) and leave as soon as possible. Check out Internatiomal School Review for details on individual schools.

Very tight expat groups with lots of activities, but this is not the place to come if you are single and want to date ANYONE! Lots of coffee shops and ethnic restaurants, ( Western too if you want). The main activity for Kuwaities is shopping, the Emir just gave every citizen 1000 kd to blow so I expect inflation to increase.

Diving here is not worth it, take the 1 1/2 hour cheap (Jazeera ) flight to Sharm and do some real diving.

I appreciate the info.. I have some insight into the middle east due to a family friend. I am not so sure I can deal with the attitudes but knowing that going into a situation helps a ton. You would be surprised what I consider good money. I currently teach in one of the worst and lowest paid states in the U.S. If you do not mind me asking, what do you teach? Can you let me know what are some of the best schools and what should I be looking for in a school in Kuwait?
Again thanks for your time.

Dirty Dave thanks for putting in a good word for us KUWAIT'S and if we are that bad and you hate the country so bad simply leave :wink:

Abdulrahman, if you understaood Engliosh a bit better you would understand that what I wrote about Kuwait is my OPINION, as I was asked to provide. Pretending that there are no problems in the country is the reason why the country is stagnant. The Emir is well aware of the problems and is trying to fix things.

As I said Kuwait is an easy place to live if you hjave money or are a western expat, God help you if you are Asian! The number of maids who commit suicide or have to run from abusive employers should give you pause for thought Abdulrahman. If you think Kuwait is paradise you are living in fantasy land.

As I said Kuwait is an easy place to live if you hjave money or are a western expat, God help you if you are Asian! The number of maids who commit suicide or have to run from abusive employers should give you pause for thought Abdulrahman. If you think Kuwait is paradise you are living in fantasy land.

I heard that more people kill themselves in the USA per capita than hgere in Kuwait. Hardly surprising, when they're living in the USA.

Now that we're past the cultural crap - weather is great, temp is great - DeeDee and AbdulRahman are both out there diving, and the diving is great!!!

And I suggest to Dirty Dave, who clearly needs cheering up a bit, get out diving NOW - you have a short window of Red Sea type vis, which will last until the water hits 27 and the plankton starts blooming, bringing the vis crashing in around you. Bloody nature, it's a pain how it all starts growing and interfering with our vis, what?

Oh, and Dirty Dave - take a shower for once, you might be surprised at how much better natured you feel once you made the effort to clean up a little....:mooner:

Go DIVE!!!!

Last edited:
Dirty Dave i understand english very well probably alot better than you and im truely sorry if even your own kind would not let you in there tight groups as you called them but believe me its probably a problem you have with your self... 1 you are probably as dirty as your name is. 2 your probably a sorry whining looser that no one wants to hang out with so thats why you feel so sorry for your self... I have met all sorts of people in this country and they all love it how many people killed them selves in your country last year ?? cheer up and enjoy life or you might be one of the numbers you mentioned above :wink:

I got to dive last Friday with Poseidon Dive Company and I had a great time. It was the first time in while that I can say I really had fun diving in the Gulf. The weather was nice the water was clear (for Kuwait) and really warm around 93 degrees at 25 feet.
It's always better to be diving than working.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom