Diving in Malindi Kenya

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Georg Kunz

Reaction score
dear members,
Iam taking my family to Malindi. this beautiful beach town lies on the East african coast (Kenya)
has anyone any experience in diving there.
can we hire equipment there & how are the rates
will appreciate reation
Georg Kunz

:sunny Hello There Georg Kunz,
I would like to Welcome you to Scuba Board –One of the most informative and dedicated boards on the net. You can meet a lot of helpful people here and it’s an awesome place to get answers to your questions regarding scuba diving. If you ever want to chat feel free to PM me. Take care and Safe Diving

-Matt- :palmtree:

Click here to greet a new member!
:thumb:
No experience needed and it feels great!

Welcome :)

I have dived at several places around Kenya. I have only ever snorkelled at Malindi but at the same site diving was taking place. The snorkelling was quite interesting with a wide variety of coral and fish life. I can't tell you about the rates unfortunately.

If you get a chance I would also recommend diving off the coast of Mombasa (south coast, from Tiwi or Diani beaches), or even further south at the Kisite Marine National Park. However, be careful with some of the operators here - I observed one DM who was taking tourists on an 'experience diving' hour. I listened to the whole 'briefing' and he did not tell them one peice of useful information - imagine, he did not even tell them to never hold their breath under water! And these were people who were about to dive for the *first* time! Obviously as a qualified diver you will know this stuff, but if they can be this reckless with people's safety....

But bad comments aside, enjoy the diving here. East Africa is a fantastic place. I have only lived here for three years but if there are any questions you have please feel free to ask...I will do my best.

Sorry I can not help you with your question, but I would like to welcome you to the board.

did you end up diving in malindi?
we are thinking about diving the malindi/watamu area in jan and would love to hear what you thought about the diving and the area?

Here is a repost from an earlier thread about Kenya.....

I have been to both Diani Beach which is south from Mombasa and to Watamu which is north from Mombasa near Milindi. The area around Milindi is part of the national park system that was set aside by Jomo Kenyata when he formed animal parks throughout the country.

I especially enjoyed Lenz and Maja Riedl http://www.scuba-diving-kenya.com
Lenz is a laid back fellow who went to Kenya as an air-conditioning repairman and stayed. Along with his lovely wife Maja they run a class act.

I didn't care for Diani Beach and felt that it was a crowded tourist area and the attitude of the folks there reflected that.

The tidal changes are monumental - probably three or four meters between high and low tides. The reef is healthy and alive with marvelous varieties of life. On one of my dives I made a note that I saw six large lionfish in one spot. There are many references to large stuff.

I also enjoyed the land safaris but if you are a diver and you go to Mombasa and don't dive you have missed out on a whole lot.

Although you have your normal rabble rousers the people of Kenya are warm and friendly. You just haven't lived until you have ridden a Matatu wagon into town. Pick the one with the fattest driver so the front wheels have a better chance to stay on the ground when making curves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom