Diving in Malta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Guys, I am from Gozo. Xlendi bay to be exact. We do have some great dives. Not as much fish life as the red sea but something makes the divers come back again for more. The inland sea, blue hole, coral cave are all good dives and near each other. North Coast also has some nice diving, reqqa point, double arch. billinghurst cave, etc. The best is the boat diving because less divers and more fish life. Try San Dimitri point. Many other small reefs within minutes of Xlendi Bay to dive.

Well just finished a dive in the Blue Hole and I just have to do the Inland Sea in another 15 minutes! No rest for the wicked! Got to go to work now!

rdbark:
One of the longest walks I saw was the Blue Hole in Gozo. Up and down steps over rocks and all with a 15 ltr tank. The sea conditions weren't up to us going in so I can't comment on how difficult it actually was. It looked like it would be a bit of a slog, but as we were looking three divers had just come out.

In summary I'd say if you know what to expect and take/hire some boots/gloves then you'll be fine. I'm just average build and although it was a little uncomfortable carrying 15ltr tanks I managed without too much difficulty. There were also smaller divers than me that managed fine.

Once you've mastered the entry/exit techniques (I watched the guides), it's pretty straight forwards.

the entry/exit to the blue hole, can be difficult, as it is a vertical tunnel, with vertical surge (at least the way i went in was) but it is a lovely dive, max depth 45m average 20m or so.

The HMS mauri is a lovely reck, also i can recomend the ROZI, a scuttled tug near the gozo ferry

just my 2psi,

Its worth the walk and keeps us fit!! The 30 meters plus is actually outside the Blue Hole. The Blue hole itself is 15 meters, then it inclines as you get out. I just came from a dive there!!

My wife and I will be in Malta around the 20th of June. We are staying in Qawra, and were hoping to do two days worth (2 x 2-tank dives) in Malta. We have completed our PADI advanced course, but really haven't done a whole lot more diving.

Can anyone recommend good dive sites for our experience and this time of year?

ayb1:
My wife and I will be in Malta around the 20th of June. We are staying in Qawra, and were hoping to do two days worth (2 x 2-tank dives) in Malta. We have completed our PADI advanced course, but really haven't done a whole lot more diving.

Can anyone recommend good dive sites for our experience and this time of year?
Unless you go to the effort of procuring a Maltese Sport Diving License, you'll need to go with an instructor guide.

Most diving on Malta is shore diving, and the wind direction can effect which sites are diveable. In the northwest is the ferry terminal at Cirkewwa. There are several paths you can take there including a dive out to the wreck of the Rozi.

Down in the south is Wied iz Zurieq where the wreck of the Um El Faroud sits. It's a great dive, but a huge amount of current occasionally sweeps the area. Nearby is Ghar Lapsi with an interesting cavern connecting the entry tidal pool to the open sea. Both sites have a bit of an uphill hike after the dive, with the one at Ghar Lapsi being much worse.

Best thing to do is go with a Diveshop and they'll sort out the Guides for you. There are plenty of dive outfits in Qwara/Bugibba. They'll pick you up from your Hotel and take you to the best sites for that day dependent on weather conditions. I went the same sort of time last year and wind was the main problem as it can cause some difficult conditions for entry/exit on the rocks, plus boat dives can get cancelled too.

At AOW you should be qualified to do most dives. I did a couple of the dives already mentioned and what's left of the Destroyer (name escapes me) in Valetta Harbour. Wreck isn't much to look at but lots of marine life.

Hope you enjoy it.

Drew Sailbum:
Unless you go to the effort of procuring a Maltese Sport Diving License, you'll need to go with an instructor guide.

And that "sport diving license" is completely separate from the medical questionnaire, right? It is quite annoying that I am supposed to go to my doctor just to have a form signed so I can dive in Malta..
--Alex

Dude... the `seacard` is currently being revised and as far as most divers here know it will stop or has stopped.

Though the `seacard` costs only $3 and $20 for the med exam if you dont have a certificate.
So that is cheaper than getting an instructor or a guide.
It is just protocol !!Just come to Malta hangout at some divesite and make some cool maltesian friends like me!!...or call Mobymark canobi !!...He is also a cooldude ...ux vera?! :)

And again GOZO has some of the best dives in the MED.

Say for example a deep cave starting at 35M and exiting at 62M. Or a scuttled ferry at 50M+

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom