Diving in MO and Surrounding States

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TrimixToo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So...we are contemplating a move to MO. What parts of the state (N/S/E/W) and surrounding states have good places to dive?

- Low-ish viz not an issue. 5' is OK, 10' is good. (Plenty of diving off NJ and lots of time in zero viz.)
- Depth not a big problem, but above 201' preferred.
- Cold not an issue above 38F.

Better viz, lower depth, warmer are all great but not big criteria if the sites are otherwise interesting to dive more than once. Not cave certified by a fair bit of time in overhead environments including mines. Dark is fine. I have lights!

Thanks in advance for any information.

So...we are contemplating a move to MO. What parts of the state (N/S/E/W) and surrounding states have good places to dive?

- Low-ish viz not an issue. 5' is OK, 10' is good. (Plenty of diving off NJ and lots of time in zero viz.)
- Depth not a big problem, but above 201' preferred.
- Cold not an issue above 38F.

Better viz, lower depth, warmer are all great but not big criteria if the sites are otherwise interesting to dive more than once. Not cave certified by a fair bit of time in overhead environments including mines. Dark is fine. I have lights!

Thanks in advance for any information.

I’d avoid straying too far from a proper airport…

There are miles of generally deep cave to dive if you get certified. On the mine front, Bonne Terre always seems to be needing slaves unpaid seemingly not cave certified guides for their exorbitant dive through predetermined “Routes.” I am under the impression Mine LaMotte is in the midst of ownership change and has historically required a cave cert. If the new owners open it to the public, you can almost certainly guarantee cave certs will be required. Outside of a few quarries and lakes such as Table Rock, it’s pretty grim.

So...we are contemplating a move to MO. ...
Google Bull Shoals Lake and Table Rock Lake to start. SW MO, NW AR. Large Army Corps of Engineers lakes that have generally good vis. Especially Bull Shoals. It's how I get my fix.

rx7diver

Beaver Lake in Arkansas is pretty good, as well. Although I do prefer Table Rock.
If you get the itch for low vis, Stockton Lake would scratch it nicely.

DW

If you're in the St. Louis area or south of it, Mermet is the go-to for many. There is also Pennyroyal which is another hour and a half further, but well worth it. The several lakes down near Arkansas are also decent. For most sites, clarity improves with depth but can be fully dark by 60-80ft. There are some publicly accessible, commonly dove caves within 2-3 hours of St Louis as Grant alluded to. Conditions vary throughout the year and are sensitive to precipitation. The mine is a nice spot but is expensive and oddly run. I'm not aware of any spots in the north of the state, and there's not much near KC.

Keep in mind that MO is only a (very long) day's drive from the Great Lakes: Port Huron, Port Sanilac, and Grindstone City on Lake Huron; or St Ignace near the Mackinac Bridge (that divides Lakes Michigan and Huron); or Paradise MI/Whitefish Pt (my fav, because of the wooden shipwrecks there) on the SE coast of Lake Superior; and Grand Portage MN, a very short distance from Canada, on the NNW coast of Lake Superior, from where you can leave to dive Isle Royale MI which offers amazing wreck dives.

Although I have never been, you should be able to reach Ontario's Bruce Peninsula after a day's drive, too, from central MO. I still dream of diving the shipwrecks off Tobermory.

rx7diver

Keep in mind that MO is only a (very long) day's drive from the Great Lakes: Port Huron, Port Sanilac, and Grindstone City on Lake Huron; or St Ignace near the Mackinac Bridge (that divides Lakes Michigan and Huron); or Paradise MI/Whitefish Pt (my fav, because of the wooden shipwrecks there) on the SE coast of Lake Superior; and Grand Portage MN, a very short distance from Canada, on the NNW coast of Lake Superior, from where you can leave to dive Isle Royale MI which offers amazing wreck dives.

Although I have never been, you should be able to reach Ontario's Bruce Peninsula after a day's drive, too, from central MO. I still dream of diving the shipwrecks off Tobermory.

rx7diver

Yeah, I had a feeling the answer would be "the Great Lakes" for anything really good. We have an RV, too, so if I can find a campground nearby staying for a few days isn't an issue. Closer to what might be "home" is sort of what I was after. Maybe I have to go get that cave cert after all!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom