Diving in Myrtle Beach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We're going down to MB next week on family vacation, my 14 yo daughter and myself are the only divers. Since she is a Jr. Rescue diver she is limited to 70' which limits us on dive sites. The dives sites available next week are Goldfinch, City of Richmond and tugboat/airplane with Scuba Express. Any recommendations on these dive sites?

That's kind of what I've heard. When I get a bit more settled I'll have to check that out. I imagine I should check in with a dive shop in this area and plan a trip with them? While Myrtle Beach is not as good as Morehead & Wilmington, I should not overlook Myrtle?

I wouldn't overlook Myrtle. Things like travel time always play a role, and I think more CLT divers visit Myrtle for this reason too.

Some people prefer trips organized by inland shops, and it can be a good way to get introduced to things. It can also be a nice way to get to the better sites. Open boats in Myrtle are often inshore sites. I think many people find after a while that it's easier to book direct with the dive charter.

7 --- I would take the one to the Richmond. The vis is typically alot better on that site than the others and there is alot more life.

Thanks for the good advice anytime. We dove The City of Richmond yesterday and the diving was fantastic. Seas were only 2-3 feet for the 1:45 ride out to the site and no one had to "feed the fish". The viz was 50+ feet and you could see the wreck from the surface, abundant marine life with a huge amberjack cruising around. Express Water Sports did a nice job getting us to and from the wreck and will dive with them again.

If you plan on diving the Richmond during the summer tourist season I would suggest you book this trip several days ahead of time. Our boat was full and the dive master said the Richmond trip is usually full during the summer. Great dive, better than I expected.

If you get the chance to dive their again, do the Hebe. Did that memorial day and viz was 100+. totally awesome. I've been out with Express Scuba 5 times and very happy with them.

I dive with a group that does a charter every year in October. We have been diving with Express Water Sports for the last several years. They always make every effort to get to the site, accomodate our requests (3 tank dives)and are always very helpful. Access to the boat from the shop is as simple as walking across the street. Great resaurants very close by, and easy/convenient lodging at the Holiday Inn Express (no, staying there last night does not make you a dive master). Great people and rock solid operation.

Has anyone on the board ever been diving with Coastal Scuba out of No Myrtle Beach?

In mid August of 2005, my wife and I dove the Sherman, Barracuda Alley, and the Governor with Coastal Scuba. We had a wonderful time (in fact we prolonged our stay in the area to get more diving with them).

The Governor had the best viz above and below the thermocline at about 35 feet.

The Sherman had the worst viz on the wreck - like <5 feet at that time (my log book says 2 feet but I am assuming I may have exagerrated, but only a little).

On all three sites we saw a lot of life, but what I remember the most from these dives are the barracuda relaxing with you under the boat during the safety stop :D

I wish I could give you more information, but this was early on in my diving and my dive records lean more towards self-correction in my techniques.

I plan on traveling through the area next week, and stopping by and getting a dive in with Coastal Scuba on my way back to New York.

I did the Barracuda Alley dive with them just a couple of weeks ago. Water was 79 degrees surface to 57 feet, very slight current. Viz ws only 10-20 feet. Loads of bait fish on the barge and barracuda and some Jacks as well as spade fish.

IMG_5879a.jpg

IMG_5892a.jpg

IMG_5896a.jpg

I just returned from MB. I did two dives with Coastal Scuba. The Sherman and Barricuda Alley. The staff was helpful. My youngest did a discover scuba class at Coastal Scuba and the instructor was very nice and helpful. The dive boat was ok but it seemed a bit crowded. They had about 21 divers aboard each day. Visibility was poor at 5-10 feet. Water temp was 85 top and 72-75 on the bottom around 60'. Visibility was great for the first 20 feet or so. They also tie off to the wreck and have descent lines which are great for folks with not alot of experience in the ocean like myself.

Back
Top Bottom