Diving in Nassau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tmolbeck

New
Reaction score
I'll be in Nassau (Atlantis) during Memorial Weekend and plan to get a few dives in. Looking for recommendations on locations to dive and DC. I'll be there 5 days, plan on diving 4 out of the 5. Any input would be appreciated.

Dive with Stuart Cove's and do as many of the 18 wrecks they go to as you can. The reefs are nice but the (artificial reef) wrecks are cool!
Ber :lilbunny:

tmolbeck:
I'll be in Nassau (Atlantis) during Memorial Weekend and plan to get a few dives in. Looking for recommendations on locations to dive and DC. I'll be there 5 days, plan on diving 4 out of the 5. Any input would be appreciated.

We are going to be in Nassau for the first time at the end of April. Our local dive shop has set up dives for us with Stuart Cove's. We've been told its one of the best.

We'll let you know how it goes after we get back.

Stuart Cove's ROCKS especially if you like wrecks, I think they have 18 total. Our first dive was a sorry looking reef and we were really disappointed, we said if the whole trip was going to be like that we wished we hadn't gone. Then they popped the wrecks on us WOW! We ended up on a boat full of experienced divers so they took us to the "Anne" a wreck they normally only do by private charter. "Clifton's Wreck" is cool too but deep and dark, looks like Great Lakes diving but you don't need a dry suit. Other wrecks we enjoyed were the "Will Laurie" (there are 3 wrecks here with a 4th in swimming distance) "David Tucker" "Steel Forest" (three wrecks) "DC-3" (plane was a movie set complete with rubber coral!) "James Bond Wrecks" (great place for macro photography and James Bond fans) and "Runway Wall" (skip the wall and go straight to the "Ray of Hope") "Carribe Breeze" and "Tropic Trader" (both at same site).

You'll have a good time. Make sure you check the o-rings on your tanks before you leave the dock so you can have them replace ruined ones, I had to have them replace a bunch of mine.

Stuart Cove's is the one - been there, done that, and got his t-shirt!

tmolbeck:

I just came back from Nassau this past weekend and dove with DiveDiveDive. I originally called the 800 pound gorilla, Stuart Cove, but got turned off by the 18ish dive groups they take out. Stuart is everywhere. I stayed at Lyford Cay Club and their water sports are managed by Stuart.

DiveDiveDive is pure diving no frills. One captain, Lindsey, knows all the secret places where not many divers go to ... hence a lot of life. A note to the "Ritz Carlton" set, DiveDiveDive is very basic ... no fruit baskets on dive boats.

Next time, I'll try Stuart just to compare but the choice just depends on which services you value the most.

We went with Stuart in August and usually had 8-10 people on the boat. Most of the time it was the same group of people with 1 or 2 additions. Stuart took the experienced divers (once they saw you dive) and grouped them together on a boat so we could do more difficult dives. That was really nice, the walls that a lot of people haven't been to are gorgeous but the shallow reef in those areas is at 60' so you need good air consumption to do both wall and reef. Palace Wall was our favorite reef, we maxed out at 104' with an average depth of 58'.

We did the "Anne" and one of Stuarts instructors who had been working there for 10 months said he had not been to that site yet. That 200' wreck is usually done by private charter only, depth to the bottom by the bow is 111' and the wreck is upside down and slopes downward toward the stern and bottoms out at 150'. This would probably make a good tech dive since you can get under the wreck and could probably do some penetration diving. There is a really nice reef not too far from the wreck though it was far enough for our DM to get lost on the way back. We did a 42 minute dive with an average depth of 64 feet at that site.

Clifton's Wreck (Clifton's Wall) is another good deep site. The wreck is inverted and hangs over the edge of the wall. It reminds you a little of the wreck in "Finding Nemo" that causes Nemo and Dory to go into the trench. We hit 119' here and went up under the wreck and cruised around the mast. The reef here is nice and healthy also.

If you have good skills and the DM who leads the dive notices you can possibly end up doing some really cool stuff with Stuart Coves.

Another vote for Stuart Cove's. One of the best experiences I've had diving.

Our one day port stop during a cruise was spent diving with Stuart Cove's. The DM was very professional, and the crew were fairly attentive- I prefer to set up myself, so I didn't really notice, but I do know that they were not in the way.

We were there in Jan., and I was glad I had a 3mm & beanie, but was wishing a bit for a 5mm before the last dive ended. During our safety stop, a huge eagle ray did a fly-by right under us. We did the DC-3 & James Bond Wrecks, both interesting with lots of aquatic life.

Foo

VOLdiver:
We are going to be in Nassau for the first time at the end of April. Our local dive shop has set up dives for us with Stuart Cove's. We've been told its one of the best.

We'll let you know how it goes after we get back.

Thanks, that would great. I look forward to hear how everything went. Where are you staying?

Back
Top Bottom