Diving in Northern Cal, but not Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funny, lots of invites that weekend, which I have been waiting for ages to happen.

I will be in New Orleans at a Microsoft Conference.

I will eat some Beneits (sp) and coffee and think about all of you!

Hopefully will get to dive with some of you soon. No more trips until December.

Dive safe, dive often.

renpirate once bubbled...

We were thinking about Grestle Cove on Sunday, Oct. 12th. Anybody interested?

My daughter and I are planning an abalone dive at Salt Point on Oct. 12th. We'll put the kayak in at the cove.

This will be a one day trip from Sacramento.
Not sure if we'll bring the tanks.

Ab divers!!! What's best... north or south from the cove???

Regards,
Alan

Hi Alfredo,

Most of the big name places along the Mendocino coast are pretty well abed out. You have to be able to hit the 25 ft range to get the good ones. I like the north part of Anchor Bay myself.

We might do some Ab diving in the morning and scuba in the afternoon. It depends on the weather.

Hi Sea_Nymph,

Sorry you can't make it. I hope the conference is good, my wife and I are both computer people too. Maybe we can get a big group together to do some dives in December.

I have not been diving for abs for twenty years now, would someday like to get back into it.
I have a question though.
I thought that you could not use dive gear to go for abs, up here, so that if you were to get stopped by a warden, you would be in big trouble if you posessed abs, AND had dive gear in your car. Even if you picked them legally, then went back out with your dive gear, you could not prove it. Also, you could've gone out, and gathered the abs with tanks, into a a pile, then came back and changed, went back out, and picked them up the legal way. Thats why they passed that law.
Does anyone know for sure? I know this has been a problem before. Like I said, I'm no expert. also, Do dry suits work well for abbing? My brother has one he wants to sell to me. I have never used one.

It is permissable to go diving and abing in the same day (not at the same time) and transport your abalone home in your automobile containing your scuba gear. The law specifies that you can not transport abalone in a water vehicle containing scuba gear.

2003 Ocean Water Fishing Regulations
Section 29.15
(e) Special Gear Provisions: The use of SCUBA gear or surface supplied air to take abalone is prohibited. Abalone may not be taken or possessed aboard any boat, vessel, or floating device in the water containing SCUBA or surface supplied air. Abalone may be taken only by hand or by devices commonly known as abalone irons. Abalone irons must be less than 36 inches long, straight or with a curve having a radius of not less than 18 inches, and must not be less than 3/4 inch wide nor less than 1/16 inch thick. All edges must be rounded and free of sharp edges. Knives, screwdrivers and sharp instruments are prohibited.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fg_comm/2003/oceanfish03.html#2915

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom