Diving in Northern Cal, but not Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just drove 9 hours to San Diego to dive, so driving isn't an issue for me. Great dives on the Yukon, Ruby E etc.

Sonoma County is a great place to dive (I am biased). I was ceritified here and one of my favorite places in Gerstle Cove (although my instructor would laugh because I complained horribly at first).

It is a preserve and the marine life is abundant. The whole Salt Point Area is a great place. I have dove in Monterey, and prefer my local spots.

If you want more info, let me know.

Sea_Nymph once bubbled...
I just drove 9 hours to San Diego to dive, so driving isn't an issue for me. Great dives on the Yukon, Ruby E etc.

Sonoma County is a great place to dive (I am biased). I was ceritified here and one of my favorite places in Gerstle Cove (although my instructor would laugh because I complained horribly at first).

It is a preserve and the marine life is abundant. The whole Salt Point Area is a great place. I have dove in Monterey, and prefer my local spots.

If you want more info, let me know.

Which boat did you take? Did you enjoy it? Would you use that boat again?

Salt point is on my list of dive sites I have to get out to, if I can ever manage to get myself and a buddy free on the same day.

Whats the dive like?

What is wrong w/ this picture???

Today is free day for Abolone (you don't have to mark your catch on your card).

Scubasean:

As for the San Diego Charter, I went on the Blue Escape. Really enjoyed it, very basic stuff. No compressor, salon and galley are small. But the crew of two were great and from what I hear the groups they take are usually pretty small, there were six of us. I would recommend it to anyone, it was very relaxed and a great dive day.

I have heard great things about the Lois Ann (charter next door to Blue Escape), but never had the opportunity to go to sea on her. The one time I was on her decks, the group was large and manuevering was difficult. I personally know one of the crew, and if his shipmates are of the same caliber of divers, it would be a great trip.

ERP:

If you want to dive the Salt Point area, let me know...I will buddy with you.

Dive safe, dive often.

Sea_Nymph

I'm pretty much stuck at work until the end of October, but I'll PM you if I suddenly find some freetime, and we'll get out and dive.

Rob

Hey Sea_Nymph,
Good to see a fellow Santa Rosa diver on this board. Diving here in Sonoma county is great, especially with a boat. There are some offshore pinnacles off Gerstle cove that are some of the best diving I've ever done. The same is true for Mendocino area, Albion and Van Damme in particular.
Just last weekend I did a dive off South Gerstle that was incredible. Huge walls of metridiums, tons of fish, and found a new ship anchor I hadn't seen before. That makes 3 big anchors right off Salt Pt. Pretty cool stuff.

Diving off California's north coast is generally the most beautiful and pristine diving in the whole state. There are not a lot of boat trips unfortunately, so its mostly beach diving. The water tends to be a little rougher and colder, since the sites are less protected. But there are a whole lot less people diving there as well. Monterey is normally a weekend zoo. And Carmel can be hard to find parking, even though not as crowded.

I have never tasted better uni (sea urchin roe) than you can get at Sea Ranch, nor seen more abalone anywhere else than there as well. Those are the only items I take from the sea and eat. Anything else I can get easier at the local fish market.

The north coast is definitely worth the extra driving from the Bay Area, although few people do it. That is a good thing.

Those of you who live close to Sonoma and Mendocino, count your lucky stars.

Sonoma County is fabulous for diving, I agree. Unfortunately I have not had a chance to explore as every dive I have done here has been during one of my cert courses (OW, Advanced and Rescue). It is amazing how difficult it is to find dive buddies as a single female. Most divers I know are married men and I don't want to make any waves at home. So, I drive far and pay well for dive charters. I was in San Diego last weekend and Santa Barbara on the Vision the week before.

I am hoping this forum will help me find divers willing and able to dive often. I want to map out the dive sites here and dream of building a dive charter boat. Conditions here make it seem a pipe dream as it may not be too profittable. But, it is just a dream for now. Scuba Cowboy, nice to meet you (virtually). I am eager to visit your website, but running out the door for the marina. Have an awesome Sunday all.

Dive safe, dive often.

I sent you a private message with an invite, Sea_Nymph. Don't worry about making waves with the wives, we've been diving with single females for a long time. One of my best dive buddies is a single woman.
DeepTechScuba, an invite goes out to you as well. Whenever you're in this nieghborhood, let me know and we'll arrange a boat trip up here for ya. We have found some great tech dives in Mendocino area.

Hi Gang,

I see a lot of people looking for dive partners. My wife and I are looking for people to dive with along the North Coast. We were thinking about Grestle Cove on Sunday, Oct. 12th. Anybody interested?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom