Diving in Pattaya an experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[h=2]Diving in Pattaya an experience[/h]
It certainly can be, and not one I am planning to repeat.

The type of thing in this thread is commonplace. I am only surprised things in Pattaya are allowed to continue year after year.

Pattaya is a shady place full of shady people what do you expect from one of the cesspits of the world? I wouldn't be surprised if most of the instructors there falsely claim to be former special forces or SAS too.

Pattaya is a shady place full of shady people what do you expect from one of the cesspits of the world? I wouldn't be surprised if most of the instructors there falsely claim to be former special forces or SAS too.
I am not a fan of Pattaya diving, but a reaction like this has nothing to do with the subject.

I am not a fan of Pattaya diving, but a reaction like this has nothing to do with the subject.
When the discussion is about the general dive shop ethics and dive culture of the location you are in then I think it has a lot to do with the subject. Different areas have different modes of acceptable behavior and operation. In Pattaya it just so happens that the culture is that of total moral bankruptcy so don't expect any high standards of professional or individual behavior coming from anyone there.

When the discussion is about the general dive shop ethics and dive culture of the location you are in then I think it has a lot to do with the subject. Different areas have different modes of acceptable behavior and operation. In Pattaya it just so happens that the culture is that of total moral bankruptcy so don't expect any high standards of professional or individual behavior coming from anyone there.

You really are misguided. Yes if you go to Pattaya as many Pattaya tourists do, direct from the airport, visit the same few streets, and judge everything you see through the bottom of a beer bottle, your comments may have some merit.
However as everywhere else, as well as the unsavoury element, there are also lots of nice people and nice places in the Pattaya area.
What happens in the tourist / nightlife areas of the city has no bearing on and is no excuse for what go's on in the diving industry.

Not to fan the flames of the thread, but Ive seen a little of Pattaya and believe that both Lord Khram and San Miguel are right in their assessment of certain parts of it. Personally I can't stand the place... but to each her/his own.

Regarding the diving, Ive been with just a handful of operators. Not to name names, but there have been times on certain boats when Ive felt like part of the livestock. Herded and treated with disdain. I remember vague feelings of disrespect, and then had altercations where I was blatantly disrespected.

Then there was the time when we dove the Khram wreck. The whole event was like some sort of authoritarian nightmare. Nobody bothered to check the currents, but we were given some strict guidelines to follow on our dive. We were informed that there might be some current and then dropped in and had to swim like mad just to reach the mooring line and drag ourselves down to the murky depths. Ive had adrenaline fuelled DRIFT dives in less current. There were other less experienced divers on that dive, but it just seemed like no one gave a damn and turned everyone loose.

After about 10 to 15 minutes it became clear that all we would see of the wreck was one tiny area which was sheltered and surfaced along the line. At the surface, some instructor starts chewing us out, checking our profile and remaining air. Then has the gall to start screaming at another group who wasn't able to reach the mooring or was separated from it, all while they were bobbing about on the surface drifting away.

This was from a major operation which tends to throw around the word "professional" from time to time. Not even close, Im afraid. Was it fun? Worth it? No... and I haven't been back. There are plenty of other excellent places to dive in the area, and other operations to choose from.

Yes Uli, I'm in agreement about the diving there. But that is IMO no justification for comments like 'Pattaya is a shady place full of shady people what do you expect from one of the cesspits of the world?' and 'In Pattaya it just so happens that the culture is that of total moral bankruptcy'.

Yes Uli, I'm in agreement about the diving there. But that is IMO no justification for comments like 'Pattaya is a shady place full of shady people what do you expect from one of the cesspits of the world?' and 'In Pattaya it just so happens that the culture is that of total moral bankruptcy'.

The strange thing is, such comments generally come from people who only visit what they are complaining about. If they made a little effort, opened their mind and looked around the area as a whole, maybe they would be able to formulate more balanced opinions, the infamous nightlife and the cities filthy beaches can easily be avoided.

Personally I also dislike central Pattaya, and never go there without good reason, as indeed the same applies to most cities. I live about 15 minutes away, and it couldn't be more different, so close and seldom see a tourist. I think that says more about the type of tourist Pattaya attracts than the place its self.

To get away from central Pattaya and walking street is where you meet real people and get away from all the tourists that make Pattaya a bad place. I have never had any problems with any of the Thai locals that live there (or work there)...just the tourist. But definitely must nicer places to go in Thailand then Pattaya. Especially if you want to do some diving. Would NEVER plan a trip to Pattaya for diving. Too many other beautiful places in Thailand to go to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom