Diving in Playa Del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I'm an experienced diver (worked as a DM) and am going to be in Playa over Christmas and New Year and trying to work out who to dive with. A lot of the tripadvisor reviews relate to new divers, and haven't been greatly useful. Who would you recommend to use, also bear in mind I'm travelling on my own so would actually quite like to be with a more social crowd rather than diving in a small group (which normally I would prefer but not necessarily on this occasion).

I'd like to do a mix including the cenotes and the reefs.

Why not take the ferry over to Cozumel?

Contact Erik Rosenstein at Beyond Diving. He offers both reef diving as well as cenote trips. My two sons and I have dived with Erik every time we make it to Playa and have always had a fantastic time. He has a small shop but I think he partners with another shop for ocean dives so its a good chance to meet some more divers. For cenote trips its usually much more private (which makes for an amazing cenote experience). My sons and I are all at least Intro to Tech certified with several hundred of dives each (mostly in Lake Ontario).

Why not save yourself the 26 USD ferry ticket and long day by not going to Cozumel and just stay in Playa and come dive with me. With a larger op, you will have to come up when the first person in the not-so-small group runs low on air. Bigger ops also have a higher 'low on air' psi like 1000psi. I do take out small groups of 4 divers or less, but we get more freedom about where we dive and stay down longer on the average. I also time it so we do not run into other divers from other shops. Just a thought....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom