Diving in Seattle area...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve2000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My son is being transfered to the Seattle area the first of the year so I'll be coming here from AZ several times a year to visit and hopefully dive. I'm not at all familiar with the area. What are some good shore (beach?) diving spots and some good dive boat operations?

Steve.

Oh, we have SO much great diving here, it's hard to know where to start. The first question is, where is your son going to be living and working? That will determine whether you focus on South Sound dive sites, or mid-Sound, or north. Fischnaller's book, Northwest Shore Dives, is a fantastic reference, describing the location of the site as well as which tide and current conditions are good to dive it. There are tons of sites -- I have six decent shore diving sites within 30 minutes of my house, and I think I counted something over 20 within an hour and a half.

As far as charters go, we don't have as many as we had a few years back, but we still have some good ones. The Bandito boats in the South Sound are excellent, sound and well run boats. The Aluminator in the mid-Sound is a small boat, run by an enthusiastic diver captain, and it's an extremely easy boat to get on and off. In the San Juans, there are several boats, including LuJac's Quest, which goes out of Anacortes, the NakNek (a wonderful boat and crew) which unfortunately goes out of Friday Harbor (a bit of a trek), and the Deep Sea boat.

When you are headed up here, put a post here in the Orca Bait forum, or log onto nwdiveclub.com, and let us know you are coming. I don't think you'll have any problems hooking up with local divers who would enjoy showing you their favorite sites. We're a gregarious, dive-happy group here in the PNW!

He's still in the process of looking for a place. I'll look up the areas you mentioned so I can get a feel for the lay of the land. The good news is it sounds like there are plenty of areas to get wet. He's been living in North Carolina but in an area where any diving is a three hour drive. We'll check back in after the first of the year. I'm looking forward to getting some video of a giant octopus.

He's still in the process of looking for a place. I'll look up the areas you mentioned so I can get a feel for the lay of the land. The good news is it sounds like there are plenty of areas to get wet. He's been living in North Carolina but in an area where any diving is a three hour drive. We'll check back in after the first of the year. I'm looking forward to getting some video of a giant octopus.

Your son could not have picked a better place to be transfered to. Beside British Columbia WA State offers plenty of shore dives for all sort of skill levels and, as Lynne mentioned, numerous good dive charters to choose from.:)

Another site that you may find useful to get to know the area is:

Free tools to simplify your life out of the water

cheers

My wife and I have a place in Seattle. We also have friends who have a place on Lake Cushman in Hoodsport. The diving is awesome all around Puget Sound and Hood Canal. I'm attaching a guide to some of the best spots. Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom