Diving in September

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

littleguppie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We are starting the initial stages of planning our trip to Thailand for this September and was wondering where we should dive. We are planning to fly into Bangkok, visit Chiang Mai and then end with diving. In Sept (condition wise) should we steer clear of any particular area? If not, should we focus on Phuket, Koh Tao/Koh Samui, Kaho Lak, Phi Phi Islands....

if Sept isn't the best of months, we could possibly travel mid Oct or very late Nov (thanksgiving). Ideally we'd go over Labor Day weekend (beg of Sept).

Thanks!

Oh, I don't think we are interested in a liveaboard for this trip...unless we would have a better chance of whale sharks...not sure what month they are in the area. :)

September is a good time to visit for diving. In the Gulf, Koh Tao/Samui, the good August weather usually carries over to September and there is a good chance of seeing Whale Sharks during that time of the year in that area.

In general, the Gulf is about to go into the rainy season, starting roughly Oct/Nov and the Andaman Sea is coming out of their rainy season, pretty much in a similar time frame.

Since there's no guarantee on weather patterns, you can have rainy days in the Gulf and outstanding days at the Andaman side, but I give you the general idea. Enjoy your trip!

I have to agree, you're just travelling at "that time"! Conditions varaible from grotty to glorious! We had 3 whale sharks hanging around Shark Point area for weeks around that time last year. have a good trip.:D

Hi - I'm also going in September.

I have heard mixed reports about koh tao. some say its great, others say mediocre. If we had to pick one place as the best what would you guys suggest? I like the usual, you know, very quiet dive sites, perfect reefs, abundent marine life, ;-)

If you want whale sharks give Mexico a try, holbox has dolphins and whalesharks a plenty and Cozemel is awesome. As good as red sea, but with american level of service from dive operators.

Opinions welcomed!! Cheers

Weather is no big deal to me particularly. How does this logic stand up to you?

If there is a chance of bad weather on both sides, of Thailand, I would be better of in Phuket as there is more to do if the weather is bad?

Finally, I hate going to a dive site and finding 20 boats, and decend into the water to see large groups of divers everywhere, and surprise surprise all the fish are terrified and long gone......

If we want quiet diving, what do you suggest then?

thanks for the help so far. Really appreciated.

If we want quiet diving, what do you suggest then?

Hate to say it but there isn't too much "quiet diving" left in Thailand. Most sites will have multiple dive-boats and multiple divers.
Your only option for really quiet diving may be if you hire your own private boat and dive at times when daytrip vessels are not around.

Look around for an operator with their own boats who deal with small groups. They usually avoid the bottle necks too and give a wider choice of dive sites. Krabi is not as busy as Phuket, but has a good area to dive in. You can dive local, Phi Phi and Shark Point. We could even dive the Phuket sites, but why burn diesel and sail past better dive sites to get there?

I am looking to go in Nov -where is the muck sites in Thailand ?

Thailand is more a "reef diving" destination as a "muck diving" destination.

There are some fabulous critters (eg: harlequin shrimps, robust and ornate ghost pipe fish, spindle cowries, crenavolva tigris, saron shrimps, golden wentel trap snails, frog (angler) fish, pine cone fish, reef- and estuarine stone fish, nudibranchs and flat worms, shrimp-gobie combinations, jaw fish, urchin shrimps etc) to be found though at Richelieu Rock and the Tin Dredge wreck in front of Khao Lak.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom