Diving in Sipalay, Negros Occidental

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhadamantus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
new diving destination for most of us, i think:

Yet what if the sweet life of reading and soaking up the sun becomes too monotonous?

Well then it’s time for a sea change, and a 30-minute boat ride to Punta Ballo. This fine white sandy beach is more than a kilometer long. Its shallow, sandy coral-lined bottom stretches for 100 meters, making it ideal for snorkelling. German, Swiss, Belgian and Filipino resorts abound in this area. Arthur Müller, a Swiss diver and owner of Artistic Diving, explains that he gave up his three-year stint in Boracay to open the first dive shop on the island.

There are 43 dive sites here, and as one of the pioneers Müller has the unique privilege of naming them. He animatedly recounts the stories behind the names. One example is Ketchup Drop, named after his dive buddy, Heinz, with whom he discovered that particular spot. There are also wreck dives and he can spend hours engaging guests in stories while their feet dangle in his cool bar pool overlooking the ocean.

more here

I haven't dived around in Sipalay but 2hrs north is where this was taken:
n649272749_581877_9543.jpg

and a couple of hours south gets you this:
n649272749_581876_1337.jpg

Shame there's no one else around to talk to :wink:

matt- where is that second pic? i have been so out of touch with the newly discovered spots around Negros Island its very embarrassing (considering that is the hometown i grew up in!)

the downside for Sipalay is that it takes fivvvvveeee hours to reach it from Bacolod through public transportation (that's almost like Cebu-Malapascua trip). i wonder if private travel cuts it in half, considering how the Ceres Liners back home always stop every 20 meters or so. :rofl2:

I have dive there 2 years ago.. the place is really nice.. reminds you of boracay 15 years ago.. however diving is not that spectacular as the reefs are over fished.. the most interesting dive site are two wrecks and thats about it. I think there are currently 5 swiss-german owned resorts in the area.

now Mags if I told you then I wouldn't have it all to myself would I? :)

I think Sipalay from Bacalod in "private" transport would still run about 5hrs; you see when the Ceres liner is not stopped they tend to go 140km/hr and not stop for anything. in fact my friend from Mabinay told me in all seriousness that they call them the 'killer bus' and I can see why. They are about the only thing I don't overtake when I'm driving.

I'm pretty sure there's some spots closer to home for you if you look around... :wink:

meeeh, matt. :p

thanks, jai. i guess Zee and I will have to stick to exploring Sipaway Islands as that's just 5-10 minutes(by pumpboat) from my parent's house!

Mags I think you should add "never argue with idiots, from a distance people might not know who is who" to your sig :)

oh good point. never thought of it like that. i just stole this quote from a very silly but addictive reflexive game called "tumblebugs"

very entertaining... the coloured bugs were being made prisoners and slaves by the evil black bug... the challenge is for you to free these poor bugs by shooting a fellow coloured bug to the queue of prisoners. :rofl2: doesn't really make sense, you see....

why on earth am i explaining that? :D

Back
Top Bottom