Diving in the Baikal lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andrey Bobkov

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Lake Baikal is a unique water reservoir. On the one hand, it is a fresh water lake; on the other hand by depth and water transparency it is comparable to a sea. The volume of the Baikal waters influences climate of the neighbourhood territories.
The greater part of the year the water temperature in the lake is rather low: +1 - + 4Ž°С, only in July-September does it get warmer up to +16 +18Ž°С. Water transparency is in direct dependence of the season and temperatures: in July-September is it about 5-10 meters, in May after the ice has melted 10-15, the rest of the time up to 40-60 meters.
Taking into account these conditions, we choose our equipment. We dive in dry suits, make use of regulators especially designed for cold water. We used to have two separate regulators in winter, now we are diving with FCD (abbreviation from Free Flow Control Device, it shuts off air stream (produced by Apeks)), which allows to use second stage regulator as an alternative source. Gloves dry, or wet Zero (we consider them to be the best wet gloves), whole-face helmets Zero. BCD can be of any configuration, we prefer ÅØings? This year for winter ice diving we started using semi-closed circuit rebreather Azimuth (we find it to be an ideal instrument for cold water).
What can you see underwater? Various landscapes at some places there is a drop off (vertical wall) very close to the shoreline; there are many canyons. The most spectacular one starts about 10 meters from the shore; the height of its walls is 30-40 meters, width enough for 1 person to move comfortably, depth unknown (we dived to 70 meters and could not see its bottom from there). There are huge underwater mountain ranges, when viewing them one feels as if s/he is so tiny compared to the massive rocks! Right opposite our dive-centre in Listvyanka there is a very interesting place: in terms of landscape it is just a 45Ž° slope, but this is a place where graylings feed and breed. It is fun to observe a big flock of fish (several thousand specimen). There are also some caves.
I think the list can be continued, as there are so many unexplored nooks in the lake. This year (2008) we discovered a 100-year-old ship in very good condition, we also went on expeditions in search of an old steamboat and an icebreaker that sank in the lake. One of the lake endemics the Baikal seal deserves a separate article. In the summer 2008 we dived with Azimuth rebreathers in Ushkanyi Islands so as to make a video of these animals, but, unfortunately, poor weather conditions did not allow us to realize this plan to the full.
Several years experience reveals it, that foreign citizens show greater interest to the lake as compared to domestic tourists. German, English, Australian, French and Polish divers come to dive with us regularly. Hopefully, someday the situation will change and we shall see more Russian people willing to join the international crowd.

Best regards,
Andrey Bobkov

Travel Manager,
Dive Club "Three Dimensions Baikal"

Attachments

• dl92.jpg
    dl92.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 169
Andrey,

I've been to Lake Baikal, but not to go diving...it was quite beautiful there.

If someone wanted to set up a dive trip to Lake Baikal, how would they go about it?

Is there a resort there with a website on the internet, or some other means of making arrangements?

Thanks,

Doc

Clive Cussler (the author) turned me onto Lake Baikal and I have wanted to dive it ever since. I hope I can find myself in that area someday.

Andrey,

I've been to Lake Baikal, but not to go diving...it was quite beautiful there.

If someone wanted to set up a dive trip to Lake Baikal, how would they go about it?

Is there a resort there with a website on the internet, or some other means of making arrangements?

Thanks,

Doc
Hello Doc,

As simple as that: e-mail your trip requirements to divebaikal@gmail.com (attention of Alexandra Bobkov - my wife and my colleague).

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Andrey and Alexandra Bobkov

Baikal sponge.jpg

---------- Post Merged at 11:43 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:36 AM ----------

Hello Doc!
Here is the update for information regarding to your last question about the contact in the Baikal
My dive club now is "Starry Baikal"
Please contact if you have interest of Ice diving on March and April.

Sincerely

Andrey Bobkov

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom