Diving in the navy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok that make sense. How long is that tour usually? What you you think is a better idea, do the tour and then go EOD or just go straight for EOD? My guess would be that I would have a better idea of what I was getting into if I did a tour first. Would that tour be an interesting one or kinda crappy because I wouldn't have much experience? Sorry to keep on firing these questions at you, its just hard to get a hold of this kind of input. I appreciate all of your advice.

Aquas $.02 I was at Eglin for 5.5 years in the Army On the dive team. We dove and jumped with AF PJ & CCT, Nav EOD & SEAL's, A RNGR & SF & DELTA, it was a great tour. From what I saw it was the MD that ran the diving show for the Nav. They had a LT but I rarely saw him. Same in the Army if one sees a Diving Officer it is the DMO or the CPT doing a qual dive. We did have one CPT that loved to be with us but he was prior enlisted. so My $.02 if you are in iot for fun and excitement go enlisted if you are in it for more $$ at retirement and officer treatment go officer.

To tell the truth, I think you're right; being an enlisted diver is what I'm looking for. From my perspective, however, I'm already going to college and have already signed up for the officer package with ROTC. At this point I'm just looking to make the most of that decision and find something that I'll enjoy doing. I wish that there was more of a possibility of me being able to dive, but it looks unlikely. Even though I guess I won't end up being able to dive a great deal, it looks to me like I would enjoy the diving community more that any other. I spent some time on a sub and the repetitiveness/endless hours of staring at a screen just weren't that appealing. Thanks for you opinion and I would appreciate anybody else's as well.

Watch out when talking to recruiters, some are artfully adept at blowing smoke up yer butt.
Check back here with any "official" commentary you get from them & we'll give you the skinny.
Some of the ratings that utilize divers (not all of them do) are Machinist Mates, other related hull tech ratings, and the weapons techs, like torpedomen & mine men.
On a side note, [commenting on non-military diving], the scientific dive program at Santa Barbara is particularly nice, you may want to have a look see at their program.
I hear that NOAA is a good outfit to work for, but expect to be retired from diving at the age of 40. The Army Corps of Engineers retires their divers at 38.

Here's a good idea... why not get a job in something else you like with the navy. Take up diving as an off duty hobby. Remember you hold the cards to ask for the 1st duty station... go somewhere nice with a coast and dive till you look like a prune. Just look at the local costs of living and explore the dive seen through local shops. Also call the MWR of the post and find out if they have an active military diving community. This way you can dive and enjoy your career.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom