Diving intership

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike.D

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey everyone

So recently I've been looking around for a divemaster intership which I hope to complete during November.
Has anyone had any experiences with divedownbelow?
Cheers

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey everyone

So recently I've been looking around for a divemaster intership which I hope to complete during November.
Has anyone had any experiences with divedownbelow?
Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

I’m happy to answer any questions you have on our Go PRO internships we offer at Downbelow Marine and Wildlife Adventures!

My role at our premier PADI IDC Dive Centre on Gaya Island is PADI IDC Staff Instructor and I am a member of the Go PRO team who are responsible for conducting and overseeing your course training and professionalism.

I, myself, completed a Go PRO internship program with Downbelow some years ago and through the program it has provided me the highest standard of professional dive education to make me the confident dive educator I am today.

As part of our PADI Divemaster Go PRO internship package, you will be provided accommodation within KK City Centre and your transport logistics between the accommodation and Gaya Island will be arranged every morning and afternoon.
Along with your conveniences taken care of, we include unlimited scuba diving as part of your dive lifestyle experience and we conduct 3 dives a day, every single day of the year!

PADI Divemaster Internship | Diving Sabah? Dive Downbelow!

During your internship to complete the PADI Divemaster course performance requirements, you will find great value in observing the operations of a premier dive centre such as ours on Gaya Island. Employers seek an individual who is multi-talented, so you should always continue your education to improve your supervisory and leadership skills.
Experience is the key to learning in the scuba diving industry and our Go PRO internship packages are to provide the opportunity to experience all that living the diving dream has to offer!

Add us on Facebook to follow what we get up to everyday!

https://www.facebook.com/divedownbelow

Please ask me for any further information to help you make your decision, Mike!

Hello. So a few questions from me:
1. How many divemaster and instructors do you guys train every year?
2. Where is the closest hyperbaric chamber to your location?
3. Is there shore diving avalible or is all diving conducted from boats?
4. Is there an option to pursue further training (e.g specialties) intop of the divemaster training should time permit?
5. What is the ratio if dm/instructors to students?
6. Would mid november be a good time to start a month long dm internship?
Cheers!
Mike

Hi Mike :) ,

You’ve asked some really good questions! So, the following paragraphs will hopefully give you a satisfactory answer to each of the questions you’ve listed.

Addressing your first question on our intake of PADI Divemasters and Instructor Development Course (IDC) candidates: it varies with the trend of travelling and tourism. However in my personal experience, as an internship candidate in the past, and now as an employee at Downbelow Marine and Wildlife Adventures, my estimate would be around 120 - 150 per year.
The IDC is conducted 5 times a year and scheduled before the Instructor Examination (IE) and there is a limit to the number of candidates we accept to keep in accordance with the PADI standards. Our next IDC, which is starting in May, we already have a group of 7 candidates so far and we are well within our allowed ratio too, so we still have some spaces left!

Our next PADI IDC & IE is 16 May - 4 June 2013 | Diving Sabah? Dive Downbelow!

To answer question 5; our top priority is the safety of our clients during any and all in-water scuba diving training, so our ratio is to ensure small group instruction to benefit the students’ knowledge retention and achieve their desired successes.
We have a high standard of quality dive instruction as the thoroughly experienced Go PRO team of PADI Instructor Trainers conducts the dive education for all professional internships under our resident PADI Platinum Course Director.

Downbelow's Go PRO Instructor Development Team | Diving Sabah? Dive Downbelow!

Our professional internships are inclusive of UNLIMITED scuba diving and we conduct 3 boat dives daily, of which you may join the Divemaster, although our 5 Star IDC Dive Centre on Gaya Island is fortunately located with a calm and shallow training lagoon right on the doorstep with a jetty. In response to your third question, as a professional intern you may conduct jetty and/or shore dives with another diver during your free time. All other dive sites are approx 3-10 minutes boat ride from our dive centre.

The closest hyperbaric chamber is at the Royal Malaysian Naval Base in Sepanggar, a sub-district of Kota Kinabalu City Centre, so it is very close by and our emergency procedures is either road or low level helicopter evacuation from Kota Kinabalu Marina, a 7-minute speedboat ride from our dive centre on Gaya Island.

Malaysia's Newest Hyperbaric Chamber in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah | Diving Sabah? Dive Downbelow!

Continuing your education as a professional diver is very much encouraged for all professional divers and our island team are frequently achieving qualifications in a variety of PADI Specialty Instructor ratings to improve their scuba diving career and employability.

As for completing a PADI Divemaster internship program of 1 month in November, there would be no problem at all! If you contact one of our KK Times Square Head Office staff, they will provide a thorough itinerary of your professional internship program to integrate whatever courses you would like to certify in. We can accommodate your preferences into a 1-month program, which could include the PADI Divemaster with PADI Specialty Instructor ratings in PADI Digital Underwater Photography and PADI Emergency Oxygen Provider to experience teaching these two courses, which are very popular within the scuba diving industry. Alternatively you could extend your internship program duration up to 2 months to complete PADI Divemaster, the Instructor Development Course and PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer to fully immerse yourself in the dive lifestyle of dive education!

PADI Divemaster Internship | Diving Sabah? Dive Downbelow!

Follow our current internship candidates to get a good idea of what you yourself will be doing everyday at Gaya Island, Borneo!

https://www.facebook.com/divedownbelow

I hope these answers give you a better idea of our dive operation, Mike! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom