Diving is Not a Sport???!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anybody who says diving is not competitive hasn't hung out here very long.

....not that there is anything wrong with that.

all that record setting and goals and sac rates?

cutting holes in ICE?

oh...just for the fun of it? he he.

(me trying to find the boat, now that IS sport!)

even if you only compete with yourself, that still counts

It's a sport, but not a COMPETETIVE sport.

As to golf, poker, etc. I think we can all agree that any activity that you can engage in while smoking is NOT a sport.

:)

HA! That's great :) Smokers DO have a way of incorporating their bad habits into almost everything they do.........I agree, if you can smoke during your 'sport', you are not working hard enough for it to fully be considered a sport....

My view is simple, if im not playing it to win its just a hobby.

I dont play diving to win.

I believe you win every time you surface. Sorry, just being a little sentimental.

I believe you win every time you surface. Sorry, just being a little sentimental.

Going by that definition may as well make crossing the road a sport.

Call it what you want. I call it a way of life.
One of the reasons I moved to the Keys was to be on the water.
I dive to spear fish for the food we eat and sight see the REAL WONDERS of the world.
Working in the dive industry I get the opportunity to show and teach others what a great sport it is and introduce them to our "backyard".

Going by that definition may as well make crossing the road a sport.

Okay, that was my 'idiot moment' of the day!...Made me laugh at myself anyway....I guess that WOULD make crossing the road a sport as well.

I just ended a conversation with a diver who informed me that he did not consider diving a sport because it was not competitive. His take on diving is, if you want to play football, basketball, tennis, etc. you are competing for a spot on the "team", diving on the other hand is . . . anyone with a C card can dive . . . maybe not as well as another diver with more experience, but . . . I, or anyone who has been certified can dive, so it is NOT a sport. This discussion was brought about by our pondering over the potential benefits of diving over other recreational pursuits to keep a wayward mid-teen out of trouble as she is a certified junior OW diver.

Just a note, I read an article recently, (can't find it right now to reference) about diving considered as a sport. Your thoughts all ........

Yes it is..... it's just semantics ya'll are hung up on......Bet your friend has never been sport fishing (or sport diving).....Ask him/her what he/she considers, let's say, 5-13 y.o. baseball teams to competing in, a sport???...They sign up, show up(no matter what they're skill level is ) and HAVE TO PLAY in every game---by rule......LOL, they don't even have to get any kind of certification..............

No way diving is a sport.
I'd rank it below bowling and ice dancing, etc.

Diving is a passtime and an act of recreation like billiards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom