Diving Japan in July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Todd999

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi We are planning a family trip to Japan in July (Mid to late) in the month.

I am looking for a place we can spend 5-7 days on the beach and diving.

3 of us are Divers, the others are not so they will hang on the beach or at the pool.

I hear Okinawa is good. Is that the best option?

Any dive shop or resort recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

A friend of mine, Brandon Cole, recently wrote an article for Scuba Diving Magazine on diving in Japan. You may find some of his insights useful. Note the company he used to arrange his dive trip, World Tour Planner. Link is in the article.

Hi We are planning a family trip to Japan in July (Mid to late) in the month.

I am looking for a place we can spend 5-7 days on the beach and diving.

3 of us are Divers, the others are not so they will hang on the beach or at the pool.

I hear Okinawa is good. Is that the best option?

Any dive shop or resort recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Okinawa is a fantastic option. Particularly if you spend a day or two out in Kerama Islands National marine Park (about an hour boatride from the Chatan area, which is center of the island on the west coast). The Keramas are absolutely stunning that time of year. Keramas is a marine sanctuary so you'll typically see a half dozen various sea turtles, white tip sharks, banded sea kraits, lionfish, all the fish from Finding Nemo, and sometimes a cuttlefish. It's my favorite place in the world to dive, I like Keramas more than Hawai'i.

Shorediving is best on the west coast. Sunabe, Kadena, and Mizugama (west side of the Air Force Base) are decent if you want some touristy dining options afterwards in American Village. If you get further up the coast towards Maeda, Onna, and Nago, you get into the more interesting shore dives at Mermaid's Grotto, Manza Cape, Horseshoe/Toilet Bowl, and Gorilla Chop. The northern sites are easier entry/exit. they all have a coral crawl, but it can be trickier in the southern sites, particularly at low tide, or if the surf is up.

For beaches, I'd recommend Onna or the beaches around Nago. Oki beaches are very pretty, but know that the sand is extremely coarse as i's made of broken coral and isn't typical sand in most places.

You can also hop a flight to Ishigaki or Yonaguni from Okinawa. They're Japan's southernmost islands (you can actually see Taiwan from Yonaguni). They are known for their sharks and sea life that's a bit more tropical than Oki proper. Going here will be by air only, so you'll need an off-gas day before you go back to Okinawa.

If I were to take someone diving in Oki, I'd probably do:
TRIP A (Ishigaki/Yonaguni/Okinawa):
Day 1 - catch a flight to Ishigaki, night dive Ishigaki
Day 2 - Dive Ishigaki or Yonaguni
Day 3 - off-gas beach day on Ishigaki
Day 4 - Morning flight to Naha, Okinawa, travel to Onna. Dinner at a steak house in onna.
Day 5 - Dive at Keramas Marine Park, you'll get back around 3 or 4. Night off, or night dive at Gorilla Chop
Day 6 - Morning dive at Mermaid's Grotto, offgas over the afternoon, travel to Naha, see some castles, grab dinner.
Depart afternoon/evening Day 7

TRIP B (Okinawa):
Day 1 - Arrive, stay in American Village, Sunabe, or Mizugama.
Day 2 - Dive Kerama Islands
Day 3 - shore dive in the morning at JAMs Marine in Kadena/Mizugama or Sunabe Seawall. Afternoon: go to the Churaumi Aquarium in Nago. Hotel change to something up around Onna.
Day 4 - Dive at Mermaid's Grotto (shore) or Chibishi Islands (boat)
Day 5 - Dive the other one, or do dive at Gorilla Chop (easy shore dive)
Day 6 - off-gas day, Go to see some castles, or go to Kokusaidori in Naha, have dinner in Naha
Day 7 - Fly out.

Recommended shops:

English Speaking guides I've used and really like:
Aloha Divers
English Empire Divers

Shops:
JAM Marine Club (Kadena/ Sunabe)
Arkdive (Mizugama, has NITROX)
Sorry, I don't have any fisthand experience with shops outside of the central west coast. I'm typically getting tanks around Chatan, and then going to a site.

Thanks for the info!

Recommended shops:

English Speaking guides I've used and really like:
Aloha Divers
English Empire Divers

Shops:
JAM Marine Club (Kadena/ Sunabe)
Arkdive (Mizugama, has NITROX)
Sorry, I don't have any fisthand experience with shops outside of the central west coast. I'm typically getting tanks around Chatan, and then going to a site.
If you decide to stay in or near the towns of Nago or Onna in Okinawa, I highly recommend
Live For Diving

If you decide to stay in or near the towns of Nago or Onna in Okinawa, I highly recommend Live For Diving. Stefan is fluent in English and German.

Back
Top Bottom