Diving just north of Jupiter Saturday report +

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amazz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
We FINALLY took our boat In the Red out for some much needed fun. I had been DMing every weekend and realized it was time for a break and dive for ME.

We headed about 5 miles north of Jupiter Inlet and 7 miles offshore to Loran Tower reefs. Because of Florida's curve and the Gulf Stream, these reefs are 7 miles out instead of Jupiter's 2.8 miles. The diving is spectacular when the vis is good and the fish life is completely different. We landed on a gorgeous ledge. Visibility was only about 40 feet and balls of seaweed and green mossy crud were floating by like tumbleweeds. It didn't make the dive any less spectacular. Tropical fish are few in this area, although we did see some angels and butterfly fish. The reefs were loaded with other fish however: many goliaths, several LARGE schools of very large snook. Now that is spectacular to see. They just hang as a school and really don't get spooked by divers. Black seabass, jacks of many varieties, turtles, margates on STEROIDS (like 25 pounders), and lots of sheepshead. Chuck and I nailed a couple of 17 inch mangrove snappers, which was dinner last night and dinner tonight for the parents. We also popped a couple of large sheepshead, which will be used for ceviche this week. Offshore sheepshead is supposed to be much better eating than the inshore variety. My fillets are perfectly white. I can't wait to add the cilantro, lime, and veggies. By the way, a 7 mile offshore resident snook population is a little odd. The scientists have been studying them for years. Johnoly got the best catch of the day, a 22 inch mutton snapper and a monster lionfish.

Surprisingly, there were few lionfish spotted on 4 drops. They were all fairly small, except for Johnoly's. This area should be loaded up. I once nailed 20+ big ones on one dive about a year ago. I wonder if something is eating them? We can only hope. The lions I saw were too big to be pets and too small to carve for dinner. No sharks all day.

I think I need to do this again next week!

I don't usually do boat dives, anymore, but if I thought I could be treated to seeing something "different", I might sign up. I'm betting, though, that the commercial boats don't go out to this site, eh? BTW, how deep is this dive? TIA

I don't usually do boat dives, anymore, but if I thought I could be treated to seeing something "different", I might sign up. I'm betting, though, that the commercial boats don't go out to this site, eh? BTW, how deep is this dive? TIA

Emerald charters will do that site occasionally. Most of the sites range from 66-75 ft. It's not for the average sightseer. Vis can be top to bottom or crud. You can't predict it. Even in lousy 20 ft vis, you will be treated to outstanding fishlife. I can't wait to go back. I would call 40 ft, what we had as average. I was bathing in snook. It was so cool.

It was a great day on the water with flat topside conditions to just haul butt-cheeks fast up to the northern reefs. Great viz, and the stingrays had my head on a swivel looking for any cobes following.

Like Amazz said, big big fish, but the rocks look like the lunar surface and not the place to practice point and shoot errors unless in black and white. Conditions change so fast day by day, you have to head up there willing to bet a tank of fuel + air + NDL just to get slapped in the face. I'd call it Powerball Diving, good luck!

I also was both surprised and encouraged by seeing so few lionfish. I need to get a smaller paralizer and figure out how to rig it so I can quickly grab and re-stow when I need it.

Great day in Jupiter and fresh dinner with garlic butter on the grill was the better than the bugs we usually catch. Many thanks to Amazz and Chuckitall for a great day !!

IMG_4362s.jpg

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom