Diving Lake Pleasant 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went diving this morning w/ hbhobby down at Vista Pt. Visibility was slightly reduced compared to when I went a month ago. It was about 15 - 20 ft. This could have been because of the lack of sun shine and there was a Rescue Diver class that was kicking up a good amount of bottom. Temps are in the 80's above the thermocline (all you need is a swimsuit) and much colder below (didn't get a reading). My buddy and his wife were doing two tanks, but I only did one. The thermocline really surprised me by being around 40+ feet. We were able to go down the wall and not feel it until almost bottom. It was good for them because they didn't have wetsuits. I had a 3/2 on and it would have been plenty warm if we wanted to go deeper. We maxed out around 45 ft and saw some fish. The zebra mussels are everywhere, but at least the fish are still around. My buddy does most of his diving at Roosevelt lake so him and his wife were amazed by the clarity of Lake Pleasant and even more amazed when i told them it was a low vis day!!!

Mike

I wish I would have made it out yesterday. It turned out to be a good day after all. Where at Roosevelt does your buddy dive? A buddy and I dove out there last Thanksgiving weekend. I'd like to try it again. Maybe we can meet up with them sometime.

Steve.

I do most of my diving at roosevelt at the sheriffs substation bay area (as I am a member of the county dive team and that is where we train). visibility in the summer is poor,(2-5 feet) winter is better vis(10-20) but much colder temeratures (7mil or dry siut)

Is anyone planning to go night diving at Vista Point on Thursday?

PD

2 weeks back was my first time looking for the rail at VP. This coming weekend I plan to haul, and I mean haul, down a few DPV's at VP and explore how far out the rail goes (away from the ramp). Should be a good dive. When we dove to the rail we found an engine cowling with a roll of tape, and we left a gear bag down there next to the wall. So this weekend I plan to search for that as well.

I have only dove VP and once to the sunk houseboat from the deck of my boat. Question - Does anyone have GPS coordinates to the Tech Wall and the the old dam? Thanks!

Check thescubateers.com >>Waddell Dam. About half way down the page are the numbers.

Is anyone thinking about doing any diving during the week? I'm free all week and would like to go make some bubbles

...and where did the rail go? How far out and which directions?

It's with a heavy heart and tearing eyes that I bid a sad farewell to an old dive buddy. Alas, Sherwood Outback. I knew you well. We've enjoyed almost 200 dives together. Every diving first I've experienced was with Sherwood by my side...er, on my back. AOW, Rescue class, almost getting eaten by the kelp monsters near Anacappa Island. I will miss you my friend.

His decline started just after the first of the year. He suffered an acute and rapid weight loss (lost a weight pocket containing 10 pounds). We got new weight pockets and things were looking up. Then a couple of weeks ago his inflator hose came off. Last weekend he suffered a through and through to the bladder. At his age, no donors are available. Maybe the bladder could be repaired. But he's 12. It's time.

So....

If I can get my new wing and back plate by Friday I'll be at the lake. Anybody going diving???

I have been dying to get back out to the lake since mid summer. I miss diving but with 100+ degree weather, I can't deal with getting in/out of the 13mm wetsuit (multi layers) I need to feel warm in the water (I either cook in the sun or freeze in the depths....). :)

For the rest of this month I'm booked (tests, events, Halloween) but starting in November I'm planning to get back out there as often as possible. Added bonus is it should be nice and cool by then.

I miss the water temps being down super low. I have so much insulation at my disposal (13mm in the form of a 5mm full/7mm short/1.5mm shirt), if the whole lake isn't freezing, I actually get too hot (was forced to stay below the thermocline this summer to stay cool). :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom