Diving Lake Victoria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beriky

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I will be traveling around Lake Victoria scouting with a non-profit organization between May and June. The plan was originally to travel through all the countries but cause of recent unrest we will probably avoid Rwanda.

I will definitely be doing some fishing but am curious about diving. I have been fascinated with diving Lake Victoria ever since I saw a documentary about the hundreds of cichlid species and their countless specializations. I so far have been unable to find any substantial information about diving in this lake. It seems Lake Malawi is the destination in Africa to see cichlids. Unfortunately, I am limited in terms of time and money. So either I dive Lake Victoria or I shelve my dream.

I have been free diving for many years and have SCUBA dove in fresh water and in poor vis conditions. What should I be worried about diving in Lake Victoria? I am aware of schistosomiasis and crocodiles, what can I do to lessen the risk with either of these hazards?

Is there a dive shop that rents equipment somewhere around the lake? If not I could just bring my mask, snorkel and fins. Are there any particularly pretty dive spots I should see?

Thanks,

Erik

Back
Top Bottom