diving lawyers ... advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but what is the actual wording of the lifetime warrenty ?? .. it probarbly states something like until parts become unavailable

Uh...Craftsman tools have a limited lifetime warranty...if you read the small print it means that the tool is warrantied for its expected life...not for how long it actually lasts. This means that you cannot just bring in your 10 year old wrench into Sears and expect them to replace it. Sometimes they are good guys and do so to retain customer loyalty, but they are by no means required to do so. In a similar fasion, I would expect that the limited lifetime warranty for Dacor is something similar. Not having read that contract, I cannot comment directly, but common sense would tell me that they had lawyers look into is when they drafted the document and Head had lawyers that considered the liability.

In regards to Daphne...American lawyers do seem to have a greater presense than elsewhere....just look at the billboards on the highway, behind buses or on TV.

Allen

scubapro50:
we are having a heated discussion on the obligations of Dacor for not supporting their "lifetime warranty" for the Pacer line of regulators. Please read the thread "dumped on by diving companies again" and let us have your thoughts ....
Warranties are sort of like an additional feature to a product you buy, only instead of being something tangible, its just a promise - a promise that in the future, under defined conditions, the seller will repair or replace the product. If the seller breaches the warranty promise, you can sue. The problem with the Dacor regs is that Dacor company may no longer exist, or if it exists, may have no assets. So who are you going to sue? And what will you get if you win? It may be possible to sue the company that bought out Dacor's business to compel it to honor Dacor's warranty obligations, but for the reasons mentioned in the other thread, that effort most likely would be futile.

underwater daphne:
we don't have any behind our buses, on tv or on any billboards.

Thats my point my dear...I am agreein' with ya :)

underwater daphne:
what is it about americans and everything ending in a lawsuit.

have you read their terms of service in detail?

I agree that this country has gone "sue happy" and this has always bothered me. A lot of us "old school" people let things go. I think that sue trend was brought on by an over abundance of lawyers advertising loop holes and whatever they could to get business. Money hungry people will find what ever way they can to get a few dollars even if it is dis-honest. Yes we Americans do things a little more agressively than others, maybe out of greed, condition, boredom, or whatever. I think things happen for a reason, and I can't' understand myself why people sue for silly reasons, ie. the elderly woman a few years back that won a large settlement from McDonalds because she put a hot cup of coffee between her legs in her car and spilled it and burned herself. That is totally silly to win a lawsuit when it was your own fault. Next thing you know, we will be able to sue for the coffee being cold. I'm sure this subject has annoyed many Americans as it has my self. People are people where ever you go. It's too bad there isn't a continent open where those of us that want to live and let live can go to live in peace with out the greed and corruption of those that thrive on power. Peace, Love, Prosperity.

One thing I don't get is when someone breaks into your house to steal stuff. Falls down and breaks something, then sue the homeowner for not making his home safe enough.

That's messed up.

J

I'm just wondering if this new "Trade-in" program from Mares/dacor is one way of trying to quite things down before someone files a class action lawsuit against them. There are still a lot of divers who are mad at Dacor for a number of reasons (mostly warranty related issues) No matter what we wish would happen I can't see anyway to make Dacor resume parts production (they claim the molds were destroyed ... why would they let that happen in the 1st place I don't know). They best we can hope for is that this new program ( www.scubaboard.com/t110024-.html ) will easy some of the anger over the issues and that Mares/Dacor will continue making parts and service for their current regulators for many years to mome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom