Diving Manasota

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J_Green

Registered
Reaction score
Haven't dove that far south before. Done mostly Alhambra or Venice Public beach area and a couple down at Casperson. Is there a good place to put in? Do you have to go farther out down there? Anyone have some feedback on that? Looking to do some kayak dives down there and looking for any advice.

I've dove it maybe 4 times.... I park at the northern most part and walk on the trail through the trees to avoid people. It's going to be a drag for kayak and stuff but doable. I haven't hit the Bone yard there yet, but have found some smalls..... if you kayak it and try to go deep I bet you'll have some luck....post after you dive and let me know. I live less than 2 miles from there.

That's a pic of the kayak route we took. I'd say overall it was a bust. Using google maps I'd say we paddle at least 1.25 miles out. Jumped in at 3 different spots on the way out. You can kinda see where the path changes direction for a little bit, that's the spots. Current was driving east strong so it was hard to make any headway underwater west. We finally gave up and went with current east for rest of dive. I then made 4 or 5 free dives to check out the bottom on the way back in. The stretch closest to shore looked like the most promising spot for teeth. The rest of the areas were either bare bottom or tons of shells. Barely a bone to be seen anywhere. Only thing me or my buddy found was a 50 caliber shell.

Dove there from a boat the last 2 days. Found some megs but they are small. From what I took in the area looks to have great potential just need to take your time. If I was to guess, we were no more than 3/4 of a mile from shore. We worked east and south from the splash points. Both dives were within 400 yards of each other. LOTS of bone out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom