Diving Maui February 2010 - Need Recommendations.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, LD just does their regularly scheduled charters and takes all comers. Since we've been diving with them for years, they know us and know what group/DM to put us with. If you decide to book with them, spend a few minutes on the phone telling them that you're an advanced diver and would prefer to be grouped with like divers. Then follow up by chatting with the DMs and Captain on the boat about your needs and desires. Just keep in mind they've heard all too often people expound their superior dive skills when they can barely stay off the bottom, so they will likely not believe what you say until they've seen your skill level, then they'll adjust accordingly.

If you want to be grouped with more advanced divers, we've found it's worth it to spend a little more money and book the X charters and 3-tank charter with Ed Robinsons. These are specifically geared toward the more independent and experienced divers, and usually you'll find Ed himself on the Wednesday X charter leading a group.

I think Hawaiian Rafting Adventures also has steel 100's... though they might be HP 100's.

So ~ 90 cft @ 3000 psi. Extended Horizons has 2 each; HP 100's, LP's that can be 100's and maybe even din 120's.*

* I figure my Asahi's are 103's @ 3000.

So ~ 90 cft @ 3000 psi. Extended Horizons has 2 each; HP 100's, LP's that can be 100's and maybe even din 120's.*

* I figure my Asahi's are 103's @ 3000.
I didn't take a close look at them, since I wasn't diving with them.

They DID have DIN valves, which is why I figured they were probably HP.

Not being too familiar with steel tanks, they could also have been Steel 120's... again, I wasn't diving them, so I didn't go too near them.

I just noticed they were bigger than AL80's, had DIN valves and noticed a Faber sticker. :)

Best bet: call and ask. :D

...I just noticed they were bigger than AL80's, had DIN valves and noticed a Faber sticker. :)...

Sounds like steel 120's - hp 100's are nearly the same height as AL80's (wee bit shorter actually) but 120's are about 3 inches taller... so they look larger.

120's make more sense on Maui as no one seems to fill higher than 3000psi

more good info - thanks Kris

Aloha, Tim

I'm actually headed out to Maui tomorrow. I have gone out with Lahaina Divers on my past trips to the island and I can say they are first class. I have scheduled dives to Lanai and Molokai and have done both of these before. The Molokai dive is certainly an advanced dive but is well worth the trip. The back side of Molokini is actually my favorite. Enjoy.

djm-hope you have a great trip to Maui. My dive buddy & I live on Oahu and this will be our 6th year going over for the weekend/week of Prez day. We usually dive with Lahaina divers and stay in Ka'anapali or preferably in Lahaina. Last year we stayed at a timeshare I have in Kihei and probably will again this year. I've heard good things about B&B, but haven't dove w/ them. I have dove with Ed Robinsons and other than the crew bickering at each other in front of guests, it was good quality.

It's not worth the early morning drive over to Kihei from Ka'anapali side to go out of Kihei small boat harbor...just use Lahaina Divers or someone else in Lahaina. The best thing about the little longer boat ride it the whale watching that time of year. We've had a whale breach just in front of us and also saw a specatular double breach on the way to Lanai one year. If you don't enjoy the whale show that time of year, you'll just not be a whale person (that's okay...I think??? :doh: )

PM me if you are there between the 13th-20th, as we'll do some shore diving (much cheaper than boat diving) and you're welcomed to come along.

It's not worth the early morning drive over to Kihei from Ka'anapali side to go out of Kihei small boat harbor...just use Lahaina Divers or someone else in Lahaina. The best thing about the little longer boat ride it the whale watching that time of year. We've had a whale breach just in front of us and also saw a specatular double breach on the way to Lanai one year. If you don't enjoy the whale show that time of year, you'll just not be a whale person (that's okay...I think??? :doh: )

Personally, I'll disagree and say driving down to Kihei is worth it to catch a boat to Molokini and S. Maui sites. We stay in Kaanapali our first week on island and we've done the boat ride with Lahaina Divers numerous times and much prefer driving and having a shorter ride. We really love the variety of the S. Maui sites vs. Molokini and have been on more than one charter with ERDA that doesn't even go to Molokini, which is just fine with us.

I will say that there are some advantages of going to Molokini with Lahaina Divers, your mention of the whale watching is one huge one. They also depart a bit later (check in at 7am), which gives you a bit more time to sleep (vs leaving at 5:30 to be down in Kihei for a 6:30 check in). If you want 2 dives at Molokini, you'll definitely get that with them. And they have a set schedule of where they go, which makes planning your vacation much easier, especially if you have family who want to do other things. :wink:

Again, whomever you choose it's tough to go wrong on Maui. It's simply a matter of finding the op (or ops) that meet your needs.

Back
Top Bottom