Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pelicanne

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Please does anyone have any recent observations or recommendations on diving Myanmar?

Objective, accurate info seems remarkably hard to come by on the net.

I'd like to combine a liveaboard there with one in Thailand, but I'm on a pretty tight budget, so I haven't ruled out shore-based diving for the Thai portion, either. I'm a solo diver, and looking to travel next March. Logistically, flightwise, it's looking simplest to base myself in Phuket or Khao Lak.

Any thoughts/suggestions very gratefully appreciated!

IMVHO The trip advisor reviews and facebook pages of the boats and the boat companies are better than here for Thailand and Myanmar , so check them out....in case you have not already done so.

IMVHO The trip advisor reviews and facebook pages of the boats and the boat companies are better than here for Thailand and Myanmar , so check them out....in case you have not already done so.

Hi Tippytoes,

Yes, I've been looking, thanks, but the reviews still seem fairly scant, both about the boats and the sites... I was just hoping people on here might have had more recent experience... We'll see! ::wink:

Thanks again! :)

Hi Pelicanne!

As luck would have it, I just finished writing an article about liveaboard diving in Myanmar! It’s not live on our website yet, but I’ll try to share some of the information here with you.

As you probably know, most of the mapped sites in Myanmar are spread throughout the Mergui Archipelago, a chain of 800 islands off the southwest coast. To the west of these islands lie a series of open ocean dive sites which boast larger marine life. From recent reports, it sounds like the areas close to shore and close to Thailand have been overfished. They are still nice site, but definitely not of the standard found at the open ocean dive sites or at the dive sites located further to the north. This means that a liveaboard will be your best bet for finding the best diving. Of course, make sure you travel between November and April. Many of the boats only tour Myanmar’s waters during these months.

Furthermore, most dive safaris in the region last between 6 and 7 nights. And almost all of the boats that go to Myanmar depart from Ranong, just an hour and a half to two hours north of Phuket. Many of the liveaboard companies offer free round-trip airport transfers from as far away as Phuket International.

At Diviac, we offer 2 liveaboards in Myanmar for online booking.

If you want to sail in the style, choose the SY Diva Andaman. This luxurious sailing vessel has a crew of 12 to serve its 14 guests.

On the other hand, the Thailand Aggressor boasts the comfort and reliability of the Aggressor name. This sturdy motor yacht features a stylish sundeck and private bathrooms in the cabins.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions. In the meantime, happy diving!

Hi DT, thanks very much for that!

I hadn't actually even considered any shore diving in Myanmar, as I didn't think it really existed. And I'd like to do the more northerly sites, if possible.

Sadly I think your two options will be out of my reach, though. It's budget end or nothing for me at the moment, I'm afraid!

Much appreciated, though!

I am organizing a 6 days, 5 nights dive cruise from January, 29th with operator The Smiling Seahorse.
We are now 7 divers and we do have some spots vacant. We start from Hong Kong but no problem if you join us in Ranong.
Itinary: diving Trip 3: Explore Burma

If you are interested to join, please contact me.

Back
Top Bottom