Question Diving near Anna Maria Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aqua-Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This coming April we will be taking a family vacation staying on Anna Maria island. I would like to take two of my boys diving during this week and was wondering if anyone could recommend a dive operation within a 1.5 hour drive from the island? My boys are used to diving in cold New England waters so I would like them to see some warm water species and reefs.

I'm interested in what people will say. About 4 hours to Jupiter, West Palm, Boynton Beach and about 4 1/2 hours to Key Largo, well outside your range

Gulf diving is super shallow like 2 hours to get 60ft of depth, and the vis is hit or miss.

There are two shore diving sites in AMI, Spanish Rocks and Sugar Barge. Both super shallow like 20ft. Can be nice, but hardly worth it IMO. Florida Underwater Sports has a location on AMI, they can rent equipment and provide a guide if you desire.

Within your range about an hour away you have Venice shark tooth diving, that can be done both from shore and from a boat. There are many guide options if you want to dive from shore. And several boats, Aristikat is a popular boat.

Another option within 1.5 hours is to head up to Seminole and take one of the charters that operates out of the boat ramp there. The largest operator Tanks-a-lot/2 Shea (same owner). There are other options but they are the biggest, he has two inspected boats under the Tanks-a-lot banner a 30ft and 40ish ft Newton. And two six packs boat under the 2 Shea banner.

As far as seeing reefs, Gulf diving is mostly ledges and artificial reefs. Ocean life depends on the site and time of year. This is probably a pretty typical good vis dive.

This coming April we will be taking a family vacation staying on Anna Maria island. I would like to take two of my boys diving during this week and was wondering if anyone could recommend a dive operation within a 1.5 hour drive from the island? My boys are used to diving in cold New England waters so I would like them to see some warm water species and reefs.
Florida Underwater Sports has a shop on Anna Maria Island and they have a nice boat.

I give a strong second to 2 Shea. TJ has good captains and crew on staff, and is also not afraid to scrub a trip if the conditions/viz are crap. The Orion is their 46ft Newton which is usually what they run for morning dive charters. The smaller boats are usually used for their spear fishing trips further out than the artificial reefs we have off Indian Shores and Clearwater.

One point of clarification though is they’re off of Seminole St in Clearwater (somewhat recently took over a storefront of the dock). It’s about 20ish minutes further north than the city of Seminole.

Another option within 1.5 hours is to head up to Seminole and take one of the charters that operates out of the boat ramp there. The largest operator Tanks-a-lot/2 Shea (same owner). There are other options but they are the biggest, he has two inspected boats under the Tanks-a-lot banner a 30ft and 40ish ft Newton. And two six packs boat under the 2 Shea banner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom