Diving Near Orlando

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

canman147

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking for a day or two of diving around the orlando area. I am going to be in the area for about two weeks in April 2012. If anyone could be so kind and give a good dive shop in the area and some dive sites that would be great. I have lots of experience so I am not really limited...Any and all info could really help me out.

Ryan Pinter

I am looking for a day or two of diving around the orlando area. I am going to be in the area for about two weeks in April 2012. If anyone could be so kind and give a good dive shop in the area and some dive sites that would be great. I have lots of experience so I am not really limited...Any and all info could really help me out.

Ryan Pinter
Hi Ryan,
Your best bet will be Palm Beach..about 2.5 hours away.....Spectacular reefs, huge fish, lots of them. Plenty of cool wrecks as well.
For a huge resource to see the dive sites, the hotels to stay at, and the best boats to choose , visit www.sfdj.com

If you have any "specific questions" about diving here, fire away:)

Dan V

You can also head northeast to Port Orange amd check out Spruce Creek Scuba.

You won't find anything closer to Orlando other than the Living Seas in Epcot.

April is a total crap-shoot in Florida due to weather.
Your best bet is the Middle Keys as we typically are still getting strong ne winds then.
The middle and lover Keys are sheltered from the NE winds as a general rule.
Chug
Rarely dives in April in SoFla, but it happens sometimes.

A personal recommendation is to look up The Scuba Gym. Great group of people. I found them during my trip last April and had a blast. One of their members frequents SB here. Lakecountydiver. I went to Paradise Springs with them, which is close to Orlando. But I know they go other places too. Have fun!

April is a total crap-shoot in Florida due to weather.
Your best bet is the Middle Keys as we typically are still getting strong ne winds then.
The middle and lover Keys are sheltered from the NE winds as a general rule.
Chug
Rarely dives in April in SoFla, but it happens sometimes.

I think weather patterns must be different between the Keys and Palm Beach ..it gets to be dicey as to whether we will have good weather for diving around mid-October each year and the storm pattern keeps things un-reliable untill close to Thanksgiving...the rest of the year, including April is usually good for planning dive trips.

Fortunately for divers that visit Palm Beach, if they do visit and a big storm happens to arrive during there trip, we have the Blue Heron Bridge Marine Park, which is pretty weather independant...inside the protection of the intracoastal, with about 3.5 to 4 hours of tidally optimal diving per day.

The only diving "near" orlando is cave country, with some nice cavern dives if you are not cave certified. This is about 1.5 hours north of Orlando near Gainesville. A good site to look at is for a shop called Birds Underwater in Crystal River. They have descriptions of the major springs with links to each spring's website, and they also have a some sites/wrecks in the Gulf of Mexico that they can do. They are a truly first-class op.

If you want truly world-class ocean diving, the best bet from Orlando is the West Palm Beach/Jupiter area. It is really spectacular diving with excellent reefs from 50 to 90', deep ledges at 130' that often have huge marine life and sharks, and a great assortment of wrecks at all depths you could want, shallow to deep. The Gulf Stream is very close to shore and you can be in the clear blue water 2 or 3 miles out with 150' vis. Typically, usually runs 60'-80' or so. A really bad day is with 30' (still not bad), and any worse means that the seas are too rough and most operators wont go out. There are shore dives if you want, and the Blue Heron Bridge is one of the best macro/muck dives anywhere in Florida.

As you go north from West Palm, the gulf stream moves many miles out, the reefs largely disappear, and you are limited to rocky areas and maybe some wrecks. There might be the occasional nice spot but relatively few.

West Palm is truly world-class diving. I know it is a ways off from Orlando, for two days of diving, you would want to overnight in West Palm. I can tell you, it is worth it. I am from Ft. Lauderdale and regularly (2-3 times a month) make the 1.5 hour trip to West Palm. It is basically all drift diving (even the wrecks), which makes your descents and ascents much easier and the reef dives effortless. Lots of top shops and operators.

The Keys are great, but a very far trip, at least 5-6 hours to Key Largo and add another 1-2 hours to the lower keys.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom