Diving near Orlando

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDownD3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have to work in Melbourne next week, but I'm flying into Orlando. I get in Monday morning about 10:15. I was hoping to get an afternoon dive in but can't find any charters going out that I could get to in time (Pompano has a 1:30 charter, but there's no way I'd get there in time). I don't mind driving a couple hours. Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Visibility conditions lately haven't been the best so many divers are waiting on the sidelines for it to clean up. That's why alot of boats aren't doing afternoon trips yet. You can always stop by Dayo Scuba in Orlando just off I-4 and rent a tank and continue up to Blue Springs. About an hour away.

My instructor takes folks to a place called Devil's Den. Not sure where exactly it is, but it should be within an hour or so of Orlando I believe.

My instructor takes folks to a place called Devil's Den. Not sure where exactly it is, but it should be within an hour or so of Orlando I believe.

It was a unique dive when I did it but that was more than a few years ago. But that is more like a two hour drive from MCO. There are a lot of spring and cavern options but I don’t know of any particularly close to Orlando.

Paradise Springs in Ocala is probably closest.

I have to work in Melbourne next week, but I'm flying into Orlando. I get in Monday morning about 10:15. I was hoping to get an afternoon dive in but can't find any charters going out that I could get to in time (Pompano has a 1:30 charter, but there's no way I'd get there in time). I don't mind driving a couple hours. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks in advance

This may not be what you are looking for, but if you will be in Orlando and only have a limited amount of time for a dive, how about DiveQuest at Epcot Center? I've never done it, but one time we were able to dive the Coral Reef Tank at Chicago's Shedd Aquarium and we had a blast - so if I had a chance to dive Disney - I'd go for it!

All you have to bring is your mask, C-Card, swimsuit, and money and everything else is provided, and you get to breathe canned air, see behind the scenes activities at EPCOT, and interact with lots of great sea life, so it sounds like a good time to me! Plus the price includes the entry fee to EPCOT so you can spend a little time enjoying the park after your dive. It might give you a nice, relaxing break during a week of business travel and work.

See the link below for posts by individuals that have done the EPCOT dive:

Anyone ever do Epcot Dive Quest??

Last edited:
Paradise Springs in Ocala is probably closest

Paradise is a nice dive, but has very limited "true" open water. I would categorize this as a cavern dive, although they seem to let OW divers in.

If you are ok with driving as far as Ocala, I suggest going a little further north to Blue Grotto. Much better dive if you are not trained for cavern / Overhead.

Your closest scuba option to Orlando is Alexander Springs.

A nice spring for snorkeling or free diving very close by is Wekiva Springs.

For an off-the-wall suggestion: when in Orlando, I like a morning swim before work, and this is a pretty fun and unique group, and you will be sure to remember it!
Lucky's Lake Swim

Alexander Springs is only open to SCUBA instruction so you can't go on your own. Blue Springs is the closest Spring for recreational diving. You might be able to make it to Jupiter by 1-ish. I would contact Stuart SCUBA (772)600–8288 They have boats in N. Jupiter and N. Palm Beach and they do regular, as well as odd week day trips for instruction (they teach a lot!). Peter, Christy or Matt are great and may have a boat you could jump on.

I checked JDC. Only a morning trip during the week. Same with Kyalami.

Thanks for all the advice so far. I am diving with Stuart Scuba on Friday. I asked them to call me if there's any interest for a Monday afternoon dive.

What's bottom temps like now? It's been mid 70s in NC

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom