Diving near St. Clair MI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubba05

Registered
Reaction score
Will be in the area in August and was wondering where some good diving spots were in the area. How about Lake Huron?

Bubba05:
Will be in the area in August and was wondering where some good diving spots were in the area. How about Lake Huron?

I've never done it, but have known folks to dive the St Clair River. They said it was a high speed thrill ride and the freighters sound like they're right on top of you. Not sure who best to contact for this though.

There is diving all up and down the thumb. One of the ops to check out is Gary Venet's Rec & Tec Charters Email him. He seems to run Tues and Thur evening 1-tank dives as well as weekend jaunts. Many wrecks are not that far from shore. I think he only leaves from Port Sanilac or Harbor Beach.

enjoy!!

Do a search in this forum for my dive report of the Monarch. Its underneath the Blue Water Bridge in the St. Clair River.

Port Sanilac, Alpena and Mackinac are the main areas charters run out of (That I know of). There are a slew of underwater preserves across Michigan.

Sounds great. My g/f is from St Clair and we will be up from WV in August, so I figure, might as well take advantage and do some great lake diving. Thanks for the help.

I'd recomend the river right under the bridge. It is a blast to dive, you can ride the eddy current there and just do some loops or there are some wrecks further down stream. I would contact Dive Inn it's a LDS in Port Huron they should have some info on river diving. I can also recomend Gary Venet out of Port Sanilac about a 45-60 minute drive north of St. Clair. There are wrecks there for any level of diver from beginner to deep tech. Hope you enjoy your Great Lakes diving.

E.B.

I'd like to toss in my two cents in support of Gery Venet's Rec & Tec charter. Not only are there some great wrecks in the area, but Gary runs a first-rate operation...truly one of the best I've ever experienced.

Enjoy!

Bubba,

I'm not trying to burst your bubble but according to your profile you have between 0 and 15 dives. Gary Venet runs a great charter but requires advanced certification to go out with him. & much of the river diving isn't for a newer diver especially if they aren't used to the colder water.

There are several other options. There are other charter operators in the area that may go to some of the 'less deep' wrecks. (I'll gather some other names in the next couple of days.) There are quarries in Northern Ohio. Other locations on the St. Clair River where the current isn't as swift. Some local 'inland' lakes in the area that are frequently dove. Charters in Lake Erie that are for every skill level - the harbors are approx. 45 minutes into Canada from the bridge in Detroit.

When exactly will you be in the area?

Paula

Looks like I will be in the area around the 12th of August and be there several days.

I have not updated my logged dives, I am up from those numbers, however not much, and I do only have OW cert as of now, still waiting on the AOW class to start.

As far as cold water, I spent all winter diving 35-45 degree water, so that is not going to be a problem.

So even if it isn't a charter or a neat wreck dive, are there any places that groups of divers gather to go diving? We have a lake in WV that has a dive area and always has divers there.

The weekend of August 12th, I'll be camping and diving at Portage Quarry with a group of buddies. That's about 2.5 to 3 hours Southwest of Port Huron. You are most welcome to join in the fun - I plan to invite any GLWC divers that want to.

To my knowledge the only places divers 'gather to go diving' are the quarries in Northern Ohio or charters they've already booked. I can't recall any local lakes that one can almost guarantee there will be other divers to hook up with at a specific time. (A few shops do meet up with divers on Wednesday nights and the locations vary.) Maybe someone else knows if buddies can be found at certain points in the river?

There are actually a lot of wrecks in the Port Huron area. Unfortunately most of them are upside down. There was a big storm that came through a long time ago, 1913 comes to mind, and sank a bunch of ships.

Paula's right, stay out of the river. The St. Clair river is very fast, you need special gear and experience.

There are a couple of dive shops up there, one of them should be able to tell you if any boat dives are going out.

Unfortunately I don't think there is any decent shore diving up that way.

Back
Top Bottom