Diving NOT in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

malganick

New
Reaction score
Hello everybody!

It's very nice to read all these advices about cozumel and cancun but is that all in mexico?
There were some tips in a thread some days ago but they didn't tell anything about places like Loreto, Puerto Escondido, Acapulco, Veracruz etc.
Has anyone ever dived in another place than cozumel?
It would be great if somebody could tell me his experiences,
thanx a lot
nick

We dove La Paz in 2000 with the shop at Hotel Cantamar and had a really good time! Unfortunately the visibility was bad because a hurricane had passed near enough a couple of weeks earlier to stir up the water. The sea lions were great fun to dive with, we went to that site twice! My buddy and I had a Manta Ray spend about 3 minutes circling over us while we hovered near a cleaning station. Nothing beats the lunches they serve on the boat either! We also dove 2 wrecks that were part of a reef project if I remember correctly although the ferry might have sank by accident.

Have heard that Cabo San Lucas is even better than La Paz.
Ber :bunny:

Mexico is a large country with thousands of miles of coast line. Diving possibilities range from Baja to Xcalak, Coz to Puerto Vallarta, Ixtapa to Isla Mujeres. This does not even mention the cavern & cave diving all along the Yucatan Peninsula.

Can you provide the board with some specifics like where you might be interested in, or least what type of diving you are qualified for & enjoy?

Thanks,

DocVikingo

one of the best hidden places in mexico is the chinchorro bank near belize, an almost unexplored dive site (mainly due the distance from cancun or coz airports - about 4/5 houres drive), but it worth it!
i've made there some of the best dives of my live

sue

I took a dive at Cabo san Lucas while on a cruise ship stop. I hooked up with a dive operation on a nearby beach (can't recall the name. A nice American lady ran it), and about 8 folks were crammed into a skimpy little boat and brought to a pinnacle close to shore, but too close to some beach tourist trap: The water was pretty murky, but filled with tons of fish (mostly Sargent Majors and Yellowtail. Saw my first stonefish there). No coral to speak of at this site, which was obviously intended for quick and easy diver turnover. One guy on the boat was angry that he had to dive there as a repeat, but the dive operation claimed that the weather was not good for the farther sites. I think he got his money back.

I have heard that there are a few nicer dive sites further out. Cabo was just not my style- kind of seedy, and full of con artists trying to hustle you. My favorite experience was leaving my Tiva sandals on the little dive boat, then hiring a guy for $10 to boat me around the harbor looking for the dive boat. Never found the sandals, but the search was a real adventure moment that I will keep in the back of my mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom